Is Playsand An Acceptable Substrate

markp2067

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
And if so whats the rule of thumb regarding depth?

How would one go about cleaning the sand prior to placing it into the tank with out loosing too much?

I was looking at the forum and read about playsand being the non posh word for Silver sand, is this correct or do i have my wires crossed?

If i am right in this i can either pay £15 for 12.5kg of silver sand or £2.99 for 15kg of playsand from Argos.

Playsand is the sand made for play pits (for kids). It comes in many different colours.

I clean sand in about 3-4 inch batches in a bucket. Add sand, pour in tap water (cold or warm), stir with hand, drain, repeat until water runs clear.

For non-planted set-ups, I usually use 1-5 cm; for planted, I prefer to have 6-7 cm at the front and 10 cm at the back.

Sorry to sound dumb but how do i drain the bucket of sand with out loosing it along with the water? I'm guessing a sieve but i'm unsure how the wife would feel about me pinching her baking sieve lol

+ 1 for argos play sand use it in my tanks.

Wash it by filling bucket 1/3 with sand then spray water into it with hose pipe and once bucket is full pour off the water. Keep doing this until the water runs clear.

i just poured the water out slowly then the little bit at the bottom with the sand went in the tank lol just remember to add dechlorinator to the tank.. but i barely got 2litres of water in there with the sand :hyper:

Most reactions

Back