Is Petsmart's Top Fin 50 Gallon Tank A Standard Size In Terms Of H

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

upNdown

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Is Petsmart's Top Fin 50 Gallon Tank A Standard Size In Terms Of Hoods and lighting?

I'm just getting back into the hobby.  I never had anything bigger than a 20 gallon tall, but this time I'm going for a 50 or a 55 gallon.  Petsmart has this 50 gallon tank http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804449
I like it better than the 55's because it seems like the cheapest thing around at that size with decent hoods.  My only hesitation is this review, which implies it isn't a standard size: "Seems like a good deal at the store, but if you ever need to replace the hood, you CAN'T! Take a chance if you want, but I would go for the 55 gallon. Much easier to find parts."
The site lists the dimensions of the tank as 48 1/4"L x 12 3/4"W x 20"H.  
One of the reviewers suggests the dimensions are actually 48x L 12.5 W x 19 H
Either way, shouldn't standard 55 gallon hoods and lighting fit, should I ever need to upgrade or replace?

I appreciate any feedback. I'm excited to get going on this - I've already bought a stand and gravel and ordered a filter and heater and a bunch of other stuff.  I just need to decide between the 50 or the 55.  And the only thing that would steer me away from the 50, I think, is if there is a problem with replacing the hood or the lights.

Do both tanks size dimension fit the stand you already bought?

If so, then I suggest the 55 Gal as the bigger the tank, the better I always say. 
yes.gif

Yes, they both fit.  I mean their footprint is within a half inch all the way around.  This is why I can't understand why people would suggest that you can't get a replacement hood - is a half inch a significant difference?  We're not talking about an exact science here, are we?
No, I like the 50.  I agree that bigger is usually better with tanks, but when you're talking about a difference of 5 gallons because one tank is an inch taller, I don't think that matters at all.  
I just can't find a 55 that's as good of a deal as this 50.  One model costs more and comes with lousy hoods.  Another model costs more and comes with a filter and a heater that are probably bottom of the line.  
I think I'm sold on the 50.

Good luck with your choice and let us know how you get on with hood replacement. 

Maybe I confused you.  I don't plan on replacing the hood - this tank comes with a great hood.  I was just worried that IF it needed to be replaced at some point, would that be a problem.  I think I've decided to just go for it. 

55 gallon is a very common size, where as the 50g isn't common, if you were to replace the hood, you would probably have some difficulties, you would probably have to contact Top Fin and have them send you one, or search for one, or even have a custom wooden one made. 

Most reactions

Back