Is My Tank Too Warm?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

firefighter1588

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi there, ive only had my aquarium 3 weeks and i have 4 fish (2 black meers, 1 goldfish and one aranda fantail) i dont have a heater, but my room is quite warm and the temp of the tank is 24 degrees celcious, is this too warm? im wondering because the oranda fantail seems pretty lifeless?? any help would be great!
Brad :good:

Hi.

I'm not a expert in anyway but Goldfish are cold water fish meaning that they stay in temps from 16-20 degrees celcious.Any higher I would say will do them great harm.So yes your temp is to high IMHO.

Maybe put a fan over the tank if there is no cover otherwise switch on aircon if you have one or turn down heater.

Hi.

I'm not a expert in anyway but Goldfish are cold water fish meaning that they stay in temps from 16-20 degrees celcious.Any higher I would say will do them great harm.So yes your temp is to high IMHO.

Maybe put a fan over the tank if there is no cover otherwise switch on aircon if you have one or turn down heater.

thanks for the advice, windows are open and heating is off :nod:

I don't think that goldfish really suffer in warm environments, i have even read that some of the fancy's actually need near tropical temperatures to keep them healthy.

The main thing i would look at is do the fish look healthy. If they're swimming well, feeding well, then they're probably ok.

The only thing i would do if the temperature is conatantly high is to increase the areation of the tank as warm water cannot hold as much oxygen as cold water. Use the outlet of the filter to agitate the surface of the tank, or add an airstone or air curtain.

They dont suffer at all from what i've seen(i used to keep mine no lower than 22 degrees and the water could get warmer in the summer). The metabolism of them speeds up though and they become more active-which shortens their live spans. Its best to keep them at lower temperatures if possible but its not vital. 24 is as high as i would ever go though :/ .

Most reactions

Back