Is My Tank Overstocked?

Sorry, I must have misread where you are in the cycle. Once you are cycled the stocking level is fine. I have a similar sized tank being used as a grow out tank with about 30 juvenile mollies and a dozen juvenile angels in it. As they mature, I will need to sell them on at the LFS but while they are young the tank is plenty for them to grow in. Since I have no intention of keeping any of my mollies, the angels are more likely to be the permanent residents of the tank. I would still give the tank some time to mature a bit before adding anything more to it.

i am not planning any more fish for a while but when i do how many more should i be looking at adding before i overstock because i have know idea
now the inch to gallon theory has gone out the window

If you keep nothing but small fish, you can go all the way to about 2 inches per gallon with a mature tank. If you try to go there, I would do it slowly over considerable time and let the tank and its inhabitants tell you when it is getting to be a bit too heavy. If there are behavior problems or the nitrates are building faster than you want to change water, it is time to stop and back up a bit.

I'd leave it for at least 4-6 months, give your tank time to mature the you can use the 2 inch per gallon guide.

Mark.

thanks for the help ill get some pics up soon once the bogwood colour goes from my tank

Most reactions

Back