Is My Tank Overstocked?

Kets

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 20 long tank with 6 Brochis Splendens. Is that too much for the tank to handle?

I have a 20 long tank with 6 Brochis Splendens. Is that too much for the tank to handle?

You're cool (I'm assuming a 20 GALLON long not a 20 LITER long).

Just keep up the 25% weekly water changes and service your filter regularly.

btw, those are nice fish...

Cheers.

Thanks! I was worried since I heard form some places that they get 5 inches long and others where they said it was a little over 3 inches long.

Would adding 6-8 White Clouds be too much?

Would adding 6-8 White Clouds be too much?

I'd think that would be the limit. Of course it doesn't just depend on the tank size but also on the filter size, type of filter and how often you do water changes.

If you have over filtration then I'd add em but monitor the Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate closely the first 2 weeks. Assuming a fully cycled tank, if after the first week that readings are 0/0/<20 then do a 25% water change and see if it's the same the next week then continue the 25% water change weekly. If you get >0/>0/>20 readings after the first week then either the tanked wasn't properly cycled or your filtration isn't adequate.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Would maybe 3-4 be better?

Would maybe 3-4 be better?

Well, yes BUT White Clouds look awesome in a large shoal.

However, you're putting them into a 20 gal long so it's the same height as a 10 gal therefore you won't get the same effect as if the tank were taller as in a regular 20. But then again, a 20 gallon long has more surface area than a regular 20 so that's better for DO (dissolved Oxygen).

What type of filtration do you have?

You could always just start with 4 and if the stats look good after 2 weeks then get 4 more.

There's no hard rule on how many fish per tank just guidelines.

I have a Marineland filter. I cant remember the exact name, but it filters 350 gph.

I have a Marineland filter. I cant remember the exact name, but it filters 350 gph.

Marineland makes many filters.

Is it an Eclipse or Penguin or cannister?

If it's a Penguin then a 350 is rated for up to 70 gallons so you're more than covered. I'd go for it.

you wana see over stocked, read the end of my leopard ctenapoma post!
(if you read it, don't laugh, i know its bad)

Marineland makes many filters.

Is it an Eclipse or Penguin or cannister?

If it's a Penguin then a 350 is rated for up to 70 gallons so you're more than covered. I'd go for it.
I think its a Penguin. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back