Is My Red Platy Pregnant?any Help Plz

PaBucsFan is right about turn the lights off as she might get stressed and it could harm the babies or she could get stressed out to much and it could really make her ill, so needs calm and quiet...im also from England (Cornwall) but at night leave the lights off i put mine off when im at work so they can chill, and then all time im @ home i leave them on, untill i go bed...its so calming and addictive i love it sad aint we but i dont care....good luck is this ur set of fry??? if the male is getting to aggressive it also can stress her out she could abort or even get so bad could kill her - have seen this b4 with my own...have u got another tank set up for the fry if so move her into there???

Really didnt mean to scare you about the stress issues but it can happen and rather you know than worry or freak out.

HNL_FISH .........Good luck though u WILL be fine!!!

Hiya - ive not kept fish that long but ive seen a lot of pltys pregnancies in that time! If you have a read of this
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/285369-a-mollys-story-from-one-drop-to-the-next/
it will show you what to look for as far as the shape of her belly goes.
You also have to seriously consider what you want to happen the fry. If you want to keep them, will they stay in that tank? Will they have enough room (you dont want to overstock the tank) - a pic of your tank would be useful. Also, take her out of the breeder box :good:

Hi and thank you for your posts.. yeh i have been worrying about her getting stresed, she keeps trying to seclude herself in various corners of the tank but the male always eventually finds her & the chase begins again. Its abit weird realy because with my other female platy hes really gentle & they swim together almost like a loving couple :eek:S

At the moment i dont have a 2nd tank to remove the female but since ive had my aquarium set up my moms been really interested and wants a big tank for the front room so if i possibly can keep all babys alive i will eventually introduce them in that tank or give them to my friends who are also tropical fish fanatics :)

URL=http://img823.imageshack.us/i/dsc00094bh.jpg/]
dsc00094bh.jpg
[/URL]

As you can see in my pic i have plenty of plants including a big floating one amongst others.. Also you can even see my male chasing my Red female in the pic.. hopefully she'll give birth sooner rather than later :)

I think I would go with advice others have given and try running the tank for a few days with the lights off. Your stem plants should provide enough cover for a few fry to survive if they are not revealed by bright lighting. I used to use lots of hornwort for the same effect before I decided that java moss was going to be my main cover plant.

hi!! shes still exactly the same, switched to having the light on during the evening and then off of a night.. i swear its taking forevvvverrrrr waiting for her 2 have them.. i'm pretty sure tho i havent missed her having some because shes stil as big & the gravid spots seem 2 of gotten abit larger if that means anything. got to go, i'm winning a nice 4ft tank on ebay with cabinate and the whole tropical works for only £102 mint cond.. fingers crossed i win it w00p :))

hi!! shes still exactly the same, switched to having the light on during the evening and then off of a night.. i swear its taking forevvvverrrrr waiting for her 2 have them.. i'm pretty sure tho i havent missed her having some because shes stil as big & the gravid spots seem 2 of gotten abit larger if that means anything. got to go, i'm winning a nice 4ft tank on ebay with cabinate and the whole tropical works for only £102 mint cond.. fingers crossed i win it w00p :))

sad 2 say my red platy is half the size she was with virtually no gravid spots 2 be seen now, i guess i missed her have them & the other fish ate them all.. typical after weeks of waiting. it was my 1st live bearer pregnancy, i have learned alot & now know exactly what some of you guys meant from just by the shape of her you know shes ready. nxt time i'l have some fry 2 show 4 it 4 defo :))

laters

you never know, you might find one hiding in some plants in a couple of days!
i had no idea that one of my guppies dropped until i randomly saw a fry in one of my plants :)

Most reactions

Back