Is My Platty Pregnant Or Just Greedy?

smithps

Reaction score
Hi - I have 2 female and 1 male platties - one of the females looks quite plump but there is no black spot in her belly (gravid spot?). Is it possible that she is pregnant without the black spot - or am i just feeding her too much?

Regards

Keep watching her, she may be in the early stages. If you don't see a spot in a week, then you can be concerned.

She's red (as is my other female play) - she seems happy enough and quite sociable and eating lots so I don't know what's going on. The male seems a bit timid and shy, mind.

Sometimes it's hard to see gravid spots, especially in darker colored fish. Also, she is probably in early stages of pregnancy, so her gravid spot will appear in a couple of weeks.

Good luck!

P.S. Do you think you could get some pictures? Thanks! :good:

if you could get some pics i could tell you but i have just noticed that my dalmation fish is pregnant ! :good: :hyper:
i hope you can get some pics so i can tell you :good:

Good Help
Kind Regards ,
Tropical Fish Forum

The color of the gravid spot is a terrible indicator of livebearers carrying fry. Many fish have skin colors that would prevent it being seen. It seems to work OK in my typical pet shop guppies but I never see a gravid spot color up in any of my other fish. They kep having lots of fry so my conclusion is that the spot is meaningless. Quit worrying about that and keep track of the fish's shape. I have yet to see a livebearer that does not square off to some degree before dropping fry.

Most reactions

Back