Is My Oscar Ok ?

Please listen to the advice your being given and stop making 1000 threads about the same thing.

im not even trying to be horrible i do want to help but if you do not listen its impossible

I did want to help until I noticed you wasnt listening.

Snake, no offence mate, but not too long ago it was you making a load of threads about the same things. Then you started a thread the other day about offering advice in a more polite way. Sorry to say i don't think you have practiced what you preached in this thread at all. :unsure:

The tank isn't big enough for the fish you mention Nicky, so will ultimately need an upgrade or the fish will become aggressive to each other due to over lapping territories and swimming space etc. Bala Sharks would be better kept in a larger group and grow a little larger than the measurements you say, some upto 15-16". They are very active also so do need alot of space to swim. Something like a 6ft tank would be needed, and i would say that that would be what you should be aiming for for the 2 Oscars too. Bullying would be the likely cause of it's recent behaviour, but seeing as you're pretty heavily stocked it could be illness due to stress or improper water conditions. If you can't upgrade soon then i would consider looking at rehoming the fish you have and picking a few Cichlids of a maximum size of around 6-7". So something like you Firemouth would be fine, but avoid any other Thorichthys species due to conspecific aggression is terrible between the species. Maybe then stock around these fish with some larger shoalers, maybe something like Buenos Aires Tetra's or Columbian Red Fin Tetra's.

Just my opinion mate, hope you get to the bottom of it.

Very true Minnnt, I guess we all have to start from somewhere.
I am still willing to help

ok back on track....

so you currently have a 48x18x18 tank with the follwing fish - 2 silver sharks 2 pictus catfish one pleco + a firemouth...?

as people have stated the tank wont be big enough long term for these fish. the pictus and firemouth will be fine but the others will get too big im affraid.

back to the oscar....

if the oscar is feeding still then thats a good sign. the twitching is a strange thing ive never seen or heard of before but it could be due to bullying from the other oscar or from a decent attack thats wounded it. none of the other fish would attack the oscar so rule them out.

once the lights are off the fish sounds like its feeling more comfortable and less stressed and is active again. am i right?

i asked in a previous reply about its normal colouration but got no answer. is it normally pretty black?

you mentioned colour changes earlier, this can be due to many things. my oscar when in a relaxed mood will be grey/black/red and stunning. when i am messing with the tank or doing a water change he goes very pale almost white as he is a bit stressed out and when he is angry he goes almost all black. so mood has a lot to do with a fishes colouration.

is the fish still not acting right or is it back to normal yet?

if it does recover from whatever it was then i would suggest just keeping 1 of the 2 and think about an upgrade in tank if you want to keep it long term.

thanks minnnt and I have been thinking about what to do all night and I think I'm going to find a bigger home for them I will miss them :( but its what has to be done its just not fair on them is it really :( I'm going to get a custom tank made I think as soon as I fine the room then I'm going think about getting some more baby oscars but this wont be in till the new year :( and by the time I have the made and setup the new tank my oscars that I have now will be way to big for the tank they are In now :( and I have already found a new home for my sharks :)

mattlee thanks you have been a help to he is back to hes normal self now :) but like I just said I'm going to find a new home for the both of them :)

you should use smilies in your posts Walkers, you always come across dry and hard to know which way to take.

pfft its up to each person how they take it

im not that fussed

Most reactions

Back