Is My Guppy Pregnant

Put a guppy into the birthing environment about 28 days after her last drop and you will be within a day or two. I don't use traps but the same applies to a birthing tank.

does it matter what i use for her to have the babies in?
i hope you dont mind my questions but i m completely new to this :unsure:

I prefer something a little larger than a trap for birthing. I use a 2 gallon jar. I cram the bottom full of plants and float some on top sandwiching the female in the middle. I then pop in an airstone and she's ready to go.

I completly agree with oldman47, the gravid spot is so misleading, as I have a pink albino female that always has a light coloured gravid spot, I tell when they are due by when their stomach 'boxes off' This is when the female is very large and a few days before she is due her belly turns slightly rectangular. When this happens it is a good idea to put her in a breeding trap.

I have never heard of putting them in a jar. Wouldn't it expose the fish to ammonia? Just asking.

I use a 10 gallon tank with lots of cover. I figure that it gives the fry a good spot to gain some size before they need to be moved again. A 2 gallon goldfish bowl / jar might work but the stay would need to be very short to avoid water quality problems unless it was properly filtered.

Yes, of course...I forgot to mention that she is only in the jar for the actual drop. Once I see that she has started, I place her in the jar and I remove her as soon as the last fry is passed. Then the fry are acclimated to the 29 gallon grow-out tank.

how long should i wait to put mine in a birthing enviroment, she looks even more boxy than before?

If she gave birth 2 weeks ago then she still has 2 weeks to go...

i guess i have 1 more week to go since the third week just passed by and i have to buy a small tank for birthing. thanks for the info
i cant wait for the fry :hyper:

This is my momma molly, not a balloon, the same day she gave birth. Her shape has not quite returned to normal in the picture and she is still slightly squared off. I intend to get pictures of her the next weeks leading up to her next drop so I'll have some to show for comparison. Right now I have none right before birth for any of my fish.

MommaMolly.jpg

how long should i wait to put mine in a birthing enviroment, she looks even more boxy than before?

as oldman47 said it is best to go by their shape.

my fish is way more squared off than the guppy in your pics and i have even cut back on food for the past week, so maybe i should put her in a trap today or tommorrow, she hides all the time now and doesn,t eat

i hope you dnt mind my picture quality but i cant find my other cam lol :unsure:

how old can my fry be before i can add them to the big tank. mine are 3 and half weeks old

Attachments

• PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 43
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 36
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 35
I'd put her in a trap it looks like she Gonna drop fry very soon.
If you only have guppys or very small fish in your main tank then 3 and half week old fry should be fine
just put a few fry in to start with to see how they all get on together.

I'd put her in a trap it looks like she Gonna drop fry very soon.
If you only have guppys or very small fish in your main tank then 3 and half week old fry should be fine
just put a few fry in to start with to see how they all get on together.

Thanks im gonna put her in the trap tonite after work. Will the fry be able to escape a 30-60 power filter?

Most reactions

Back