Is My Filter Good Enough?

:good: well, since I don't really plan on upgradin the size of my tank anytime soon, I exchanged the fluval external for an Aquaclear 30 hob filter. Its just alot cheaper and fits in my limited space alot better too. When i eventually get another tank I will get an external cartridge.

Since I can't fit two filters in my canopy, I took the black mesh stuff out of the old filter and wedged it between the two bags of Biomax filter media, in case there was some good bacteria on it.

I also left out the carbon and instead doubled-up on the Biomax, which I think is advised anyway. I like how I can put my own combination of media in to suit the tank's needs.

After over a month now with fish-in the tank while cycling, I still have no nitrites which leads me to believe I haven't built up a bacteria colony worth anything. Hopefully this will change that.

Thanks for everybody's help! :)

Good, that sounds like a good conclusion to your efforts. I expect the aquaclear should give you good media flexibility and good service for your present tank. Then if you ever get a bigger tank in the future you can think about getting a big external cannister for it and using media from the AC to seed it!

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back