Is My Bulb Or Starter Unit Gone?

hollyp0p

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My light in my Juwel Rekord 60 won't turn on, the light flickers as though it's trying to turn on, but it never does, the only thing I can think that happened, but I don't think it affected it straight away was something fell on the plug socket last night.....a little bit after that the light was off but flickering.....is this likely to be a problem with the starter unit, or the bulb?

Change the lamp, fluorescent lamps have a habit of flickering towards the end of their lives. They also fade a great deal with age, you tend not to notice it as it happens over a long period, but you'll be suprised by how bright the new lamp looks.

Was the thing that fell on the plug socket heavy enough to damage it? Is the plug socket visibly damaged or cracked? If you plug another appliance into the same socket does it work?
If you can be certain it's not the socket then replace the bulb/tube as Lateral Line suggests. I've heard that when you change the tube it's a good idea to change the starter switch at the same time as they are very cheap anyway.

get yourself a standard white tube, and a new starter from an electrical retailer - together, both will be less than £2 and will answer the question !
I would recommend everyone keep a spare tube for this reason... although we should really be changing them before they "wear out" ! lol

get yourself a standard white tube, and a new starter from an electrical retailer - together, both will be less than £2 and will answer the question !
I would recommend everyone keep a spare tube for this reason... although we should really be changing them before they "wear out" ! lol

I dont think you can changer the starter on Juwel I bars, not without a total dismantle and reseal after. ( thats if it don't break in the attempt) that said you may know a different solution?

Nothing got cracked or appears damaged, and because I am sure the light didn't go off for a while after that had happened I'm hoping it's the bulb....I was going to fit another unit into the front for extra lighting so I can have better plants soon so I may get the bulb, and if that's not it, i'll just fit a new unit :)

have a look at the starter (its the size of a wine cork,love wine me)switch lights on if flickering its could be that /change that first/9 timesout of 10 its that.

Nothing got cracked or appears damaged, and because I am sure the light didn't go off for a while after that had happened I'm hoping it's the bulb....I was going to fit another unit into the front for extra lighting so I can have better plants soon so I may get the bulb, and if that's not it, i'll just fit a new unit :)

if you replace it, unless you can get a very cheap one, try one made by someone other than juwel. They have problems with reliability, and cost a bomb.

have a look at the starter (its the size of a wine cork,love wine me)switch lights on if flickering its could be that /change that first/9 timesout of 10 its that.

can't be done on a standard juwel I bar, I'm sure i said that!

Most reactions

Back