Is My Bristlenose Catfish Doing Ok?

Hi Tameem,

2 months is not a well established tank. A number of things could have effected the BN plec.

Do you know what your PH is and what the LFS is? When you bought the plec, did you add tank water to the bag over a 20 minute period? The shock of adjusting to slightly different PH can cause death.

If you consider getting another one I would wait until your tank has been running for 6 months. This will give time for your tank to get dirty and it will give the BN plec something to clean. Your tank has only been running for 2 months which is not long enough to be called well established.

Sorry if this sounds like i'm telling you off. I'm not - fish keeping can be expensive and time consuming. You've came to the right place as there are experts on here! :)

Martyn

My pH is 7.6. I ususally test dealer water, but I did not test theirs this time. when i add the fish, I ususally float the bag in the tank for 20 minutes and during that time slowly add tank water. I cant remember if I did this or not, or if I just floated him and then added him after 20 minutes. I dont think I have enough algae in the tank, and maybe he died because of that. But, I also bought algae wafers knowing this and even dropped that right in fromt him.

I will contact the LFS and find out what their pH is. I realise that if its different from my own, that could have been the cause. Thanks for your reply.

Most reactions

Back