Is My Angelfish Pregnant.

TropicalLeeTracy

Reaction score
Hi all. Came on at end of december with white spot problem and am pleased to say it has now totally disappeared. Fish now seem a lot more perky and are doing well. Too well i think because now i think my angelfish could be pregnant or had little ones. And also i think a guppy is pregnant too. Now sure what to do now. I'm Stuck.
The reason i think the angelfish is pregnant or had them is it keeps staying in an artificial plant and its belly is BIG. Everytime the other fish go near it sort of tells them to get out with a little nudge. Also the guppy has a lge belly too. My Question is " What shall i do with the angel fish and what the procedure is from now if it does or has had babies" On the top of my tank near to the filter and around the filter is what looks like foam. The plant where the angel is is right next to the filter. I have bought a Floating fish hatchery today just in case i needed one. Any advice would be great.
Many Thanks
Lee

hi :good:

Angels are egg layers. They dont give birth to live young. If you have a female angel she may be full of eggs ready to spawn. Have the angels paired up? Are they aggressive to tankmates?

greg

the baby angels, if you get any, will need to be away from the other fish as they might harass them. and you will have somewere between 1-100 fry. they will be too small to eat flake food (even crushed) so they will need to be feed LIVE brine shrimp. not frozen or freeze dryed. they will need to be feed with "liquid fry" for the first few days. as for the guppie fry, she will give birth to live young and they can go directly to "powderd" flake food. use a pestal and morter for crushing food. and they will grow to adult size in arround a year to a year and a half. and the baby angels would need atleast 3-5g each to grow properly (after about 2 month roughly).
soo thats just my 2 cents worth.
~afishdude

hi :good:

Angels are egg layers. They dont give birth to live young. If you have a female angel she may be full of eggs ready to spawn. Have the angels paired up? Are they aggressive to tankmates?

greg
Hi Greg,
No more than usual really. The angels seem to both be going into the plant area sort of hiding. 1 more than the other. One is only aggressive if other fish go into the plant, mainly the gouramis go in there.

the baby angels, if you get any, will need to be away from the other fish as they might harass them. and you will have somewere between 1-100 fry. they will be too small to eat flake food (even crushed) so they will need to be feed LIVE brine shrimp. not frozen or freeze dryed. they will need to be feed with "liquid fry" for the first few days. as for the guppie fry, she will give birth to live young and they can go directly to "powderd" flake food. use a pestal and morter for crushing food. and they will grow to adult size in arround a year to a year and a half. and the baby angels would need atleast 3-5g each to grow properly (after about 2 month roughly).
soo thats just my 2 cents worth.
~afishdude
Hi,
Thankyou for the advice. much appreciated. What do i look for though. Eggs? Where? and what will they look like as i have never had tropical fish before. once years ago but didn't know a thing then. I know the angels have eggs and the guppies have live babies. Do the angels need to go in a breeding net?

If your angels have paired and lok like theyd like to breed, i think the best thign to do, is to provide them with something suitable to breed ON.

Angels lay eggs on a large flattish leaf, preferring something in the upper levels of the tank rather than in the bottom, so if you can get hold of a piece of slate or similar and fix it so its sloping, and reaches right to the surface (as theyd like to lay on the top part really), then they may well lay eggs.

If you DONT want to raise the fry just leave the eggs there, the chances are you wont actually end up with any live babies as the other fish will pick them off.

If you do, then google for how to do it, ive done it and its hard work and unlikely to result in many live juvenile angels (i had 400 eggs, 200 free swimmers, around 20 angel shaped tiny fry and now.... 5 juvenile angels).

I think it is MUCH healthier though if you allow them to breed, the female will produce eggs regardless but without a pair she wont lay them and this can cause health problems.

They wont lay unless you provide a suitable place for them to do so though!

Em

i agree with canis, but for guppies, i wouldnt advise using a breeding box or net as they can stress out small live-barers. i would advise using another tank and move the female into it and when she has her fry move her back to the other tank. if you get any fry i would advise you to DEFINATLY invest in another tank to raise them in. maby 1 or 2 could live in a breeding box until there big enough to go in with the mom. but definatly not more than 3. and what other fish do you have in that tank.. you never said? that will alter the size the fry can be before they can go into the tank with other fish. like my black skirts and angels LOVE to eat baby fry when i dont get to them in time and i had to wait 2 months before i could put any guppie fry back with them or they would eat them. so you really cant put fry with agels, rember if it can fit into an angels mouth they WILL try to eat it.
~ just my 2 cents again.

edit: 2 months = about 1- 1&1/2 inches long for guppies.

Most reactions

Back