Is Melafix Safe For Bettas?

Amanita.m

Reaction score
I have heard many people stating Melafix is not safe for use with Bettas. The main argument seems to be the theory that it leaves an oil residue on the water's surface. However the oils have been refined out of the product, and the product itself is clearly water soluble (the medicine is water based). The actual concern apparently has more to do with using it in acidic environments, there are possible indications that it can react in a very acidic environment if ingested and cause liver problems. My suggestion for anyone wishing to use it in wound healing would be to test your PH first and if it is especially acidic, (much below 6.8)you might want to be cautious or try another treatment.

From the article: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication4.html
by By Carl Strohmeyer

"
Many claim that Melafix can cause problems with Labyrinth fish and Pencil Fish, which research has shown to be a half truth.
I have used and tested Melafix on many Labyrinth fish (in particular Bettas) and not found these results as claimed. Further more, one forum stated that the "oils" in both Pimafix and Melafix are dangerous to Labyrinth due to the need to "breath air". If this is the reason aquarists are contributing to Melafix, I can correct this incorrect statement in that part of the patent for Melafix (& Pimafix) is the process of refining of the oil out of both these products. This can EASILY be proved by adding Melafix or Pimafix to the water and watching for it to float on the water, which it does not. HOWEVER before implying this person in that forum does not know what she is talking about, Melafix can and does cause foaming, which at least in theory could be a problem with certain fish.
I would also refer to my analogy I used to explain anecdotal concerns with Pimafix as to the use of Tylenol in humans.

Until I find more scientific information, I would venture a guess that those who have had problems are certainly not imagining it, however that some sort of chemical reaction happened (again I refer to my Tylenol/alcohol combination analogy I made in the Pimafix section). My reason for making this statement is that I and others in my profession have used Melafix with Labyrinth fish/Pencil fish and have not observed fatal reactions...

My current hypothesis (based on early tests), is that since the best research shows similarities between TTO and Turpentine (both are terpenes, but then so is beta carotene) is that in an acidic environment, in particular an environment with nitric acid (which is quite possible in an aquarium), the chemical reaction can produce chemicals that may harm the liver in certain fish that have a tendency to ingest the water around them such as Labyrinth fish/Pencil fish (via the surface). Certain terpenes such as turpentine are actually explosive when combined with nitric acid (this chemical reaction is used in rocket fuels!). On a small scale (aquarium environment) some similar reaction may be happening that with certain fish can cause death. This would also explain why this problem has never been noted in marine fish even though they constantly drink the water around them, since marine fish are always kept in an alkaline environment.

This would also explain why this reaction has not been observed in my tests with Melafix (even at double doses) with Labyrinth fish/Pencil fish since I conducted these tests in a balanced Redox mineral/electrolyte environment.

At this point my advice is to maintain proper mineralization and Redox, which is something I have been a big proponent of for many years now based on scientific evidence of the benefits therein. If my hypothesis is correct this may be the link in this problem, especially since the TTO found in Melafix (and all terpenes) is a known Redox reducer and an acidic/oxidizing environment of ANY cause could cause possible undesirable effects."

Also here is a university study about how the active ingredients work: http://cmr.asm.org/content/19/1/50.full
The University of Western Australia is also studying it: http://www.marshallcentre.uwa.edu.au/research/tea-tree-oil

I have used both of these on a variety of fish, including Bettas, and have never observed any ill effects, and certainly no oil residue on the water's surface. I keep my tanks close to neutral PH tho. I also use Tea Tree oil on myself and on other pets and have found it very useful in wound/skin ailments. I feel any medications in the fish tank should be used with caution, but if your tank is close to neutral or higher in PH, and your fish has wounds or fin issues,I think Melafix and Pimafix are worth a shot. Good luck all with treating your fishes and may they live long and happy lives!

So it' a chance we would be taking to use it but with his study there was no findings that it harms bettas. As there was nothing on the surface of the water. Thank you for this article was informative.s

I have to say I was concerned for my betta as I've been treating one of his tank-mates with melafix. I saw no signs that there was a problem with him but it made me pretty paranoid when (after having used melafix for a week) I read that it could be harmful.

Tea oil is just fine for bettas, as it would be for any other fish. Unfortunately its efficacy is also unproven. Yep, that means you are using something that has no proven benefits at all. I cannot give any reason not to use it but I also have no reason to ever use it in my tanks.

Thanks OldMan, what do you reccomend? Though I understand you have more options for medications in the US :/

It seems a lot of people recommend just doing water changes or use salt, to cure fin-rot.

I just read through the linked post on tea tree oils and found that it had been scientifically investigated for things like acne in humans but not for anything at all in fish. As much as I would love to find an effective cure for many things that fish keepers face, I cannot say that any scientific evidence exists for using tea tree oil for that in compounds such as Melafix. Yes, you got that right. I refuse to join the crowd who are supporting tea tree oil, which is used as a formulation called Melafix, in any way for our fish. If such evidence exists, I would be happy to review that particular research. As of today, no such evidence has come to my attention. Science is science folks, it is not advertising copy in any sense. Melafix has received plenty of advertising copy and so far I have seen no reviewed scientific papers that support its use for anything at all. I wish the advertising claims made by people like the makers of Melafix were actually supported by scientific research since it would make my real world fish keeping that much easier.

In tank I treated with Melafix it often does have an oily surface, but it's been a while since I uses melafix in that tank, so I'm not sure what that could be! In my personal expirience melafix doesn't really do anything, as stated above.

I've used Melafix by API in other tanks with guppies and i never noticed anything on the water surface. However, my Betta's tank does have some filmth on the surface but this is from his food. I believe it's the protein in his flake food and i dont put a lot bc he eats it all up right away :)

Most reactions

Back