Is It Worth Using A Heater In Summer

emmsy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I guess the point of a heater is to keep a constant temperature at all times, but in the nice weather we are currently experiencing and during the summer months, Is it really worth heating the water

Emma

The heater will test the temperature of the water and only turn on when it drops so in theory it will be on less and save you money anyway, that is unless like my living room your house faces the wrong way and you get no sun light :no: that will teach me not to buy a house on the spur of the moment (i think when hubby said go shopping and buy something nice he was thinkig a dress :lol: )

The heater in my kitchen tank has hardly kicked in over the last few days.

yeah they're on a thermostat so won't be on all the time.

i'm sure there will be some elctricity used while they are on standby as it were so you could perhaps turn them off, but the danger is if you forget to turn it back on come winter or one night is unexpectedly cold.

best to leave it on IMO

I never have any tropical tank without a heater. Besides, in the summer, temperature tends to drop even more drastically here at night than winter.

That is actually very true. I find the nights can actually get colder in the summer

Emma

The nights probably arent colder just "feel" colder because of the heat of the day. but ontopic i would just leave the heater on, its only going to come on if and when its needed anyway

I guess the point of a heater is to keep a constant temperature at all times, but in the nice weather we are currently experiencing and during the summer months, Is it really worth heating the water

Emma

You must have read my mind, I was thinking exactly the same thing before whilst sat in the sun B-)

my tank creeped up to 29degrees yesterday :eek: (usually 25) starting to worry, what can i do thou? nothing!

Freeze some dechlorinated water and drop one or two ice cubes in if you're concerned at the rise in temperature of your tank. It will gradually pull it down for a while.

It will take quite a few ice cubes to change the temperature any noticeable amount. Better than the ice cubes is just floating a frozen bottle of water.

And back on the original topic, I leave my heaters on all year. With the AC on in the summer, and the heat in the winter, the room temperature is pretty much the same all year long.

Emma

You must have read my mind, I was thinking exactly the same thing before whilst sat in the sun B-)
Great minds think alike eh helen?
Also like the idea of the ice cubes or bottle of frozen water

Emma

I leave mine on all year. I'd need an ice machine to supply enough ice cubes for my 120 gallon so not an option.
I just leave the lid open and lights complete off over summer really hot days. My tank regularly pushes into 36 degrees C over summer. Fish are obviously not happy with such high temps. Very lethargic. I just do cold water changes to cool down and have never had a heat related loss of fish.

I sometimes do a cold water change in summer, using a syphon on a very small tube, almost like a trickle filter

Emma

Most reactions

Back