Is it worth it?

Jinx_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Looking to get the 6 pygmy cories and 4 otos.
My singular oto needs friends, they like friends.
Cories, I heard they're active and fun to watch.

They're not a bad price together.
IMG_3587.png

My main concerns are:

What if they're kept in much different water from mine? They can be sensitive, especially the otos. What if they pose a risk to my guppies or my current singular? In terms of diseases?

Worth it?

Also, was looking at one of these. Only cause they're smaller from regular mollies, and probs would be fine in my 60L lol.

Already asked the seller my forever questions lmao. Most don't even reply me. Got a problem with me being thorough? 🤔 lol.

I know they were treated cruely :/

IMG_3589.png

Remind us of the tank size, please.

I would avoid those balloon mollies like the plague. They are severely deformed with all their insides squashed up so they have health issues. They are still mollies so they need very hard water while cories and otos need soft water.

Remind us of the tank size, please.

I would avoid those balloon mollies like the plague. They are severely deformed with all their insides squashed up so they have health issues. They are still mollies so they need very hard water while cories and otos need soft water.
60L.

I've kept cories before in my water, they lived long and well.

No idea what to get for my tank, there is basically nothing that suits.

In another thread you give your hardness as 15 dH/255 ppm, which is a bit hard for cories and otos.
Cories also need a bigger group than 6.

There are some small rainbowfish in the genus Pseudomugil which would like your water and are suitable for the tank size. For example
That's correct, my water is hard.

I tried looking online for the fish, but I can't find any. Sad.

Another fish suitable for hard water and the tank size is endlers. But males only or the tank would be vastly overstocked in no time. There are quite a few different colours/patterns around, and if you live near a Maidenhead Aquatics they usually stock them - cheaper than buying on line with the postage costs.

The male yellow tiger endler is a handsome fish. Here is one of my guys.
IMG_0747.jpeg

Another fish suitable for hard water and the tank size is endlers. But males only or the tank would be vastly overstocked in no time. There are quite a few different colours/patterns around, and if you live near a Maidenhead Aquatics they usually stock them - cheaper than buying on line with the postage costs.
Thing is, I already have endlers and reg guppies. And most likely hybrids between these two as well.

To be honest, with guppies and endlers already in a 60 litre (16 gallon) tank I would be reluctant to add more fish. Do you have a mix of males and females? If you do, you won't have room for more fish before long.

Ditto. I had four male platys and five female platys in a 20 gallon tank. I have now sold over 100 juveniles to a local fish store. I never planned on being in the fish business. It is a pain in the neck netting all those little guys. I ended up rehoming the females.

Most reactions

Back