Is It Worth It?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DiddleBug

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I like breeding Bronze corys and there are 2 LFS nearby that will buy my fish for $.75-$1.  I only have 2 10 gallons though... I was thinking maybe I could buy a big 20 gallon tub and add a heater and sponge filter.  I already have sand.  So I was think I could use the 1 10 gallon for 4 adults, the other for the very small fry, and the tub for growing out.  I probably spend $20 per month on my fish.   I can sell bronze fry at 3-4 months of age.  Would they pay for themselves or even have some profit? What are your thoughts? 

Well at $20.00 a month, selling at 3 months, already $60.00 in the red.
If you sell 60 at $1.00 you break even, but if you flood the market, the price goes down.

well i think it would matter on the fry rate, how many make it,you probaly need 40 to make a profit so i think it depends on your experience with breeding um.

I can't say for certain in your particular situation, but I've known loads of breeders of different animals (snakes, lizards. spiders. scorpions, dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, gerbils, hamsters, fish, llamas, alpaca, emus, ostrich, horses, sheep, cows, deer; I come from a very rural area!) over the last 30 years or so, and I can tell you you'll do well to cover your costs.

Sorry to sound so negative, but to breed properly, you need to invest in quality breeding stock, high quality food, plus time and space; none of those come cheap.

For something so inexpensive its a losing proposition. Look into a more expensive cory and then being able to sell online. LFS markup about 300% on livestock. I used to trade some excess bn for store credit was about it.

I have sold a bag of 60-65 lf bn for about $100 and one of 5 rare plecos for $750. The bn cost me almost nothing to get started with, the plecos cost me a small fortune, as far as fish go, to get started.

Selling online sounds confusing... Do you think I should just drop trying to breed cories?  Even if I don't breed my fish they are going to keep eating my money.  What should I do?  

DiddleBug said:
Selling online sounds confusing... Do you think I should just drop trying to breed cories?  Even if I don't breed my fish they are going to keep eating my money.  What should I do?  
I say enjoy your fish..

if you can sell some fries here and there to get some store credit, that's a bonus..

HAMBONE said:
I say enjoy your fish..

if you can sell some fries here and there to get some store credit, that's a bonus..
Maybe you're right. :) I'll have to think about all the options. :) How hard is shipping fish and selling them online?

Are there any other fish that I could fit in a 10 gallon and sell for a good price? I looked into GBRs but they seem tricky. What do you think I should invest in? (Or should I keep my cories?)

Give it a try with your bronze (It's fun). If you like it (waterchanges, waterchanges, waterchanges, waterchanges, aso) you could try another more rare (better to sell) Cory or Plecos.

I've about 60 Bronze-fry now. Didn't do to make provid out of it (will even be hard to sell them hahaha), but it's nice to start with. 
First two tries didn't work and it now goes well.

So : Start with a cheap fish, when / if that's succesfull en you like it : Go with the flow !!!

Most reactions

Back