Is It Safe To Put Laminated Background Picture Inside Tank?

heatwave

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have recently found out the tank i have ordered has a mirror background but still want to use the one i have purchased.
Staples stationery have a laminating machine that will laminate my 6ft X 2 ft backing paper.

Will this now be safe to insert INSIDE my tank?

I think it may look weird underwater.Can you test a small piece before you commit?

I dont think so ...

I would have thought it was a common thing to do for a better resoloution, as usually when the picture is behind the glass the light reflects.
In my case i have no option as the rear glass isnt transparent.

Anyone?

I wouldn't rely on it sealing it properly. It's quite common to see laminate notices stuck to lamp posts with its contents wet from the rain.

laminating polythene will go yellow in no time..

you have 6x2 foot tank.. spend another £44 and you have 4... 1.5x2 foot... ''exo terra'' 3D backgrounds for reptiles . you can buy almose enywhere in uk.

ditch the Laminated Picture.. sounds horrible.

I didn't know they made paper, non-waterproof aquarium backgrounds. I've only ever seen them in plastic.

Lamination seems like a bad idea for a few reasons, just look for a waterproof background. I often see them sold by the foot off of a big roll at the LFS, which is probably cheaper than lamination is anyways and would look better. While there might be some problems with adhering a plastic background and cleaning behind it if algae and gunk get behind it, you'd have the same problem with lamination anyways.

The exoterra backgrounds are a cool idea if you want to spend the money for them.

Read the concept of the thread AstonN24Vantage. The new tank they have is a mirrored back panel, thus it is not transparant and anything placed behind cannot be seen.

Mirrored tanks are a bad idea in my opinion. The 3D background sounds like your best option, it may cost a little more, but for all the cost you'll have peace of mind throughout and aesthetically it'll look 10 times better than your lamination idea.

you have 6x2 foot tank.. spend another £44 and you have 4... 1.5x2 foot... ''exo terra'' 3D backgrounds for reptiles . you can buy almose enywhere in uk.

Can i get any 3d backgrounds with a blue ocean landscape? all the ones i have seen seem to be rocky

If all you want is a blue background, I would use polystyrene and seal it then paint it! The people in the DIY section will be able to tell you how to seal it and what paint to use!

Can i get any 3d backgrounds with a blue ocean landscape? all the ones i have seen seem to be rocky

never seen one.. in 3d back ground.. you cant keep the colour more then few months. even if you clean it with peacocok feathers...

if you dont clean, you get nice real looking rocky background with algae.. i got same.. when i build it.. it was yellow brown 3d.. but now even nicer... in my pov.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/340004-2-videos-with-2-lighting-setups-in-1-tank/

its 5 x 2 tank. cost me £33

never seen one.. in 3d back ground.. you cant keep the colour more then few months. even if you clean it with peacocok feathers...

if you dont clean, you get nice real looking rocky background with algae.. i got same.. when i build it.. it was yellow brown 3d.. but now even nicer... in my pov.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/340004-2-videos-with-2-lighting-setups-in-1-tank/

its 5 x 2 tank. cost me £33
Im thinking of getting a sheet of blue tinted persplex to go over the mirror.
Is this ok?

id just get blue pond paint and paint it on the back or alternatly you can take the mirror off with a special liquid some one did it on another forum

i personally think its alot of effort tbh id and the perspex will be a fair bit

Most reactions

Back