Is it possible to create a closed loop ecosystem in my tank?

starzfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering if it is possible to create a closed loop self-sustaining ecosystem in my tank. I would prefer if it has 3 trophic levels like algae gets eaten by shrimp which gets eaten by fish. If it is possible, how can I make one?

Last edited:
Hi, I am wondering if it is possible to create a closed loop self-sustaining ecosystem in my tank. I would prefer if it has 3 trophic levels like algae gets eaten by shrimp which gets eaten by fish. If it is possible, how can I make one?
My son has been looking at these on YouTub, so I think it is possible...not sure how it works though...

keep us posted ?

It won't stand the test of time and will ultimately be cruel on the fish. We need to remember that these youtubers set up tanks like this purely for 'content' without the livestocks best intentions at heart

Are there any fish that can eat mainly shrimp? Or do all fish require some form of pellet/flake fish food?

Last edited:
It won't stand the test of time and will ultimately be cruel on the fish. We need to remember that these youtubers set up tanks like this purely for 'content' without the livestocks best intentions at heart
Honestly, I plan to still feed the fish. I just want it be as low maintenance as possible. I wonder if I could do a 50/50 diet where I feed the fish 50 percent and its eats other tank animals like shrimp as part of the other 50 percent? Could that work out? Will the shrimp reproduce enough to maintain a stable population of shrimp?
edit: I realise it depends on tank size and amount of shrimp.

I understand, but I was wondering how close to maintenance free I could get.
If you plan to feed your fish anyway, why do you wish to get them to eat shrimp?

The issue with trying to get fish to eat shrimp, is eventually, the shrimp will get to smart for the fish and hide all the time. Also, there’s no guarantee your shrimp colony will be as healthy as it is now.

In large volumes of water you can have self sustaining populations of fish, shrimp and plants. However, smaller water bodies don't work well.

The other issue is to do with diseases and chemicals released by the fish. Plants will remove ammonia and help keep algae under control, and provide shelter, habitat and breeding sites for the fish and shrimp. But plants will not remove hormones/ chemicals released by the fish, and nothing will eat or dilute the disease organisms in the water.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms. Without regular water changes, these organisms build up in number and eventually affect the fish. The pH will also drop over time and this can be harmful to the fish, depending on what species they are.

So you can have a smallish tank with some shrimp, fish and plants in, but you will still have to do regular water changes to dilute disease organisms and chemicals released by the fish.

Unfortunately, having a system like this will limit you to how many fish you can keep, and most people that try this sort of set up, have too many fish and end up having to feed them anyway. You would be better off culturing live foods outdoors in ponds or plastic storage containers, and adding the live foods to an aquarium with fish and shrimp in.

I knew I would only be able to keep a few small fish & some shrimp using a huge tank, and I only planned on keeping one or two fish. What fish/other organisms should I stock my tank with?

I knew I would only be able to keep a few small fish & some shrimp using a huge tank, and I only planned on keeping one or two fish. What fish/other organisms should I stock my tank with?
All depends on the dimensions of the tank, what the current stock is, and what your water hardness is.

Most reactions

Back