Is It Ok To Put A Guppy With My Betta Fish

in a short no, they are the worse tankmates for a betta ever due to bright colours and lengthy finnage

dont put guppies in with them i did and mine killed them riped them to sheds they are the bettas worst enemie

ouchie no no no no no.. sorry .. i even read some platy's are no good with betta's.

the reason they are not great tankmates is that they are a 'conspecific', which means they are a fish that the betta may consider to be another betta, thus a potential threat.

As stated above, it's due to the bright colours and long flowing tails that the guppies have.

Some can argue that, female Guppies (since they tend not to have colorful tails and long fins) maybe okay with a Betta.

I tried fancy guppies with my female bettas once, didn't end well, had to remove the guppies.
The females would not tolerate it.

you could try male endlers with your betta, they have a similar body shape and can be fantasticly colourful, but lack the large flowing tail.

JG

Honestly, I think I have weird fish.... Out of all of my 5 bettas, all did fine with make fancy, long finned guppies :crazy: And I still have some with mine right now

I think it depends on tank size. At first I was shocked to hear that my lfs was saying it is alright to keep guppies and bettas together, but the tank my friend has with a male betta and three male guppies all get along great. It could just be the betta is nice. He has a cave to hide in when he wants to get away from the other fish and I think the little group of guppies makes the guppies more even with the bettas size. Again, could just be the tank I saw was an exception.

the reason they are not great tankmates is that they are a 'conspecific', which means they are a fish that the betta may consider to be another betta, thus a potential threat.

As stated above, it's due to the bright colours and long flowing tails that the guppies have.

+1

Just today we sold a Betta because it was flaring and nipping at the guppies. I would of thought 2 guppies and a betta in a 3ft tank would be fine, as the betta could have it's 'personal space' but no.. It simply doesn't work.

I have a male Betta and two male guppies with fancy tail colours in my fluval edge. Never had a single issue at all.

Most reactions

Back