Is It Normal?

LellowFish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is it normal for new fish to hide at the back of the tank while one goes to explore when they have just been added?

I added 12 Neon Tetras today (adter asking for 6) and I seem to have 11 that hide and 1 that seems to like exploring. Is this normal?

I have had a few of my fish do that. One would seem to go scouting while the rest school somewhere. At first I thought they were over stressed, which I know they are somewhat but disproved that with everything I can control was OK.

That's what I'm not sure about...Are they stressed or just doing what they do naturally?

I did my usual 25% water change today before I bought them and all the water stats were fine...So I'm hoping it's just normal. I don't have a hospital tank so I couldn't even quarantine them first.

12 fish in one go in a small tank is a bit much! Although new fish often hide away after the stress of transfer I would be checking my levels and worrying about that side of things. Also try switching off the lights for 24 hours

I know but I was supposed to only be getting 6, the lassie caught 12 and didn't tell me! So I only found out when I went to acclimatise them.

Anyway, they are eating fine so I hope that's a plus. They are also exploring a lot more especially when the food goes out. Only one dead so far and one seems to have gone AWOL (I'm thinking the Plec).

Most reactions

Back