Is It My Drift Wood.....

gavyshake123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:unsure: Hi guys

i have a nice piece of driftwood as the center piece in my newly created/designed tank!

i set it up sunday morning, but this morning it seems to be very cloudy, could it be that i have bubles set up underneath it?

would you suggest taking the bubbles from underneath and placing some where else in the tank?

(i will put pictures on tomorrow for everyone to see) :drool:

Gav

did you wash it before placing it in the tank, i was advised to hose mine down and maybe even soak it overnight :good:

Did you wash and/or soak it first? Where did it come from?

yeah i had it in soak like 2 times a day for a good week! im hoping its not, but my filter will hopefully sort it, what you think? :shout:

im a noobie so all advice is welcome, havent got any fish yet.

Gav

what's cloudy, the wood or your tank?

I soaked my wood solidly for approx 36 hours then scrubbed it with a clean scrubbing brush. Haven't had any clouding, just a bit of tanning staining of the water which has been rectified through a water change ;)

I soaked my wood solidly for approx 36 hours then scrubbed it with a clean scrubbing brush. Haven't had any clouding, just a bit of tanning staining of the water which has been rectified through a water change ;)

Argh i seeeeeee :rolleyes:

i didnt scrub mine, just done a dam good, week soaking session!

im just worried it will stay the same, srry its the water that is cloudy!

maybe i should take it out n give it a good scrubba dubba!

I would. The filter should clear the water for you - but might be worth checking your water stats to make sure they're sound ;)

I would. The filter should clear the water for you - but might be worth checking your water stats to make sure they're sound ;)
yeah thanks for your advice!

that will be my next step to check the stats ect, well once i find out what needs be......

thanks again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi gavyshake123 and welcome to TFF!

Are you sure the cloudiness has anything to do with your driftwood? How long has the tank had water? How was it cycled?

~~waterdrop~~

Are you sure the cloudiness has anything to do with your driftwood? How long has the tank had water? How was it cycled?

~~waterdrop~~
i put the water in yesterday along woth the driftwood, plants and rocks! i also added the heater and filter and bubble system after! what should be my next step?

~~waterdrop~~
i put the water in yesterday along woth the driftwood, plants and rocks! i also added the heater and filter and bubble system after! what should be my next step?

My guess would be the wood is not causing your cloudy water. Sounds more like the gravel / subtrate. Usually wood will cause tannins , browning of the water which is no real problem and eventually will clear up. If your tank is newly set up and you used gravel I would venture that could be it. Also a newly set up aquarium will sometimes become cloudy as bacteria start to develop but that too will go away. If you have no fish in your tank and your doing the fishless cycle just let the filter run for 5-7 days and see if the cloudy water does not clear up on its own.

~~waterdrop~~

My guess would be the wood is not causing your cloudy water. Sounds more like the gravel / subtrate. Usually wood will cause tannins , browning of the water which is no real problem and eventually will clear up. If your tank is newly set up and you used gravel I would venture that could be it. Also a newly set up aquarium will sometimes become cloudy as bacteria start to develop but that too will go away. If you have no fish in your tank and your doing the fishless cycle just let the filter run for 5-7 days and see if the cloudy water does not clear up on its own.
Thanks Jeff

If there any living organisms in the tank, i.e. fish, plants, snails, bacteria etc then the cloudyness would be a sign of a bacterial bloom and IMO is the most likely explanation, (check the water stats) Gravel would usually cause cloud the water instantly, and as said driftwood will usually only release a brown tannin into the water

I am going to change the next step for you Gavyshake123. The next thing you should do is read up on how to do a fishless cycle. There are at least 2 threads here on the site that can guide you through that process. One of those has a link in my signature area with the obscure title "Fishless Cycling". Once you have had a read of that thread and are uncertain what to do next, please come back and post your questions. The slight cloudiness in a new tank is almost meaningless and by the time you finish a fishless cycle, the tannins leaching from driftwood decorations will have slowed a lot. A filter will only remove color that is the result of tannins if you have carbon in the filter. Since you probably do not need carbon for anything else, you might consider controlling the tannins with water changes. Some people actually like the brown tint the tannins give the water. It is really more a matter of taste than any problem. The fish just won't care.

Most reactions

Back