Is It Dangerous?

Maybe I am approaching this from the wrong angle? Is there some better way to get a little water noise than how I am doing it?

May sound silly, but take a piece of plastic and with the front cover off (so you can see and not obstruct the bio wheel) and start messing with the water flow. You moght be able to super glue something that will divert the flow to where it becomes audible enough.

I have that exact same pump and mine is dead silent. Are you sure you dont have a hole in your hose or anything? Its a sleek shaped blue guy with black rubber feet right? Just make sure its sitting level and not sliding around and it should be quiet. Try putting it on a mousepad.

Yep, that's the one. I've checked the line several times, no holes and I have it running where there is no danger of the cats chewing on it. It's it's just humming away....yours doesn't hum? Very weird. :crazy:

Yes, it's level and I have tried it on many different surfaces...like a towel and just now the mouse pad. Still hums.

Where do you have yours positioned? Maybe I am more sensitive to the humming than most people, I dunno. And it's not like you would walk into the room and say 'my lord, what is that NOISE?!' but when I lay down, I can hear the hum of it and it drives me nuts.
maybe there is some variation in how these are manufactured I have the same model (or maybe its a 60?) and there's no way you could describe it as quiet.. weird I even tried surrounding my with a big inch and a half thick encasing of foam all around and it was still way too loud

A good way to get a soothing water noise I think is to start with a water stream parallel to the surface from below that's silent and move it slowly closer to the surface until it makes the surface move visibly. Then you play with its height relative to the surface -- too high and it splashes too loudly, too low and its silent, somewhere in between should be just right. You can do this with a spraybar output of a filter or by buying a small powerhead with a suction cup or other attaching device that somehow allows you to adjust its depth on the aquarium wall. You have to adjust the depth every couple days due to evaporation - suction cups make this very easy.

~~waterdrop~~

A good way to get a soothing water noise I think is to start with a water stream parallel to the surface from below that's silent and move it slowly closer to the surface until it makes the surface move visibly. Then you play with its height relative to the surface -- too high and it splashes too loudly, too low and its silent, somewhere in between should be just right. You can do this with a spraybar output of a filter or by buying a small powerhead with a suction cup or other attaching device that somehow allows you to adjust its depth on the aquarium wall. You have to adjust the depth every couple days due to evaporation - suction cups make this very easy.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks for the info. On this page www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/categories.aspx?id=2054&cid=1186&mid=3226 would I be looking at getting the Maxi-Jet® Power Heads? As far as I can tell, it's the only one with suction cups....would that work? (Sorry, I know nothing about pumps and power heads) :unsure:

Maybe I am approaching this from the wrong angle? Is there some better way to get a little water noise than how I am doing it?

May sound silly, but take a piece of plastic and with the front cover off (so you can see and not obstruct the bio wheel) and start messing with the water flow. You moght be able to super glue something that will divert the flow to where it becomes audible enough.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it and see what I can do!

I live in a noisy city apartment so maybe ive just learned to drown out those sounds. I have mine below my tank in a cabinet with an open back. But I also have 2 large filters running. Even when I put it right up to my ear I dont hear too much from it tho. Certainly not enough to keep me awake.

Better than a powerhead and possibly less expensive. Just buy a cheap hang on back style power filter. It also has the added benefit of giving you more filtration. It will make a great water sound since its essentially a water fountain.

Most reactions

Back