Is It A Male Or Female?

Stangin83

Reaction score
Hey all,
My girlfriend wanted a female betta, so we went to the store and got this one beautiful little (I think) girl. Only problem, "she" has started blowing bubbles. I'm wondering is it possibly a plakat betta? It kind of looks like one, but then again it also looks like some female pictures i've seen. What are y'alls' opinions? (I'll get her to take some more pictures tomorrow.)

Thanks!
--Russ

n50105228_31684737_5040002.jpg

Russ

looks like a female to me but juvie male plakats look just like females. Females can blow bubbles as well if they are happy so could still be a girl. Out of caution I would just keep her on her own for a bit and if you see any significant changes in her appearance pop some more pics up. But she does look like a she

Hi
Impossible to tell from the picture i'm afraid :( Although its going to be difficult to get a picture in that bowl. Is that going to be its permanent home? I ask because bettas are tropical and require a constant temp of around 78 degrees, and in a tiny bowl you will have to do water changes every other day. This can cause stress related issues in some fish.

Better pictures required as it will only be guesses at the moment, which wont help :good:

Hi
Impossible to tell from the picture i'm afraid :( Although its going to be difficult to get a picture in that bowl. Is that going to be its permanent home? I ask because bettas are tropical and require a constant temp of around 78 degrees, and in a tiny bowl you will have to do water changes every other day. This can cause stress related issues in some fish.

Better pictures required as it will only be guesses at the moment, which wont help :good:

It will be his/her permanent home, but seeing that we live in florida, there is no problem for the temps. I got her a thermometer and it stays around 78-80 usually, as does mine. I also told her to put more water in there than she had, it's about a two gallon bowl. I'll try and get a better picture today.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the fishie has stress lines, so I'm leaning towards females. At least, I haven't seen a male with stress lines, only the females.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the fishie has stress lines, so I'm leaning towards females. At least, I haven't seen a male with stress lines, only the females.

1myboys012.jpg
male betta with stress lines. they dont get them as much, but they get them. but that one does look like a girl.

A 2 gallon unfiltered bowl is an exceptionally poor home for a betta. While they can survive in a small amount of water, it can hardly be called living in any sense of the word. Not only is 2 gallons nowhere near enough swimming space, the curved shape of the bowl will make attaching a filter very difficult, and without a filter, you will need to do large water changes every other day to keep the levels of Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate right down. If you do less water changes than this, your fish will be exposed to those waste products from it's own faeces and urine, and will eventually become unwell and diseased.

Your fish needs a tank with a filter. You can easily pick up a 5 gallon tank second hand from garage sales, craigslist ect, for very little money. Many often come with equipment free. Even the largest available sized plastic critter keeper would be fine as a tank. You can buy a cheap sponge filter and air pump to run it from Ebay.

Every single one of the tanks in my signature were second hand, and the two 5 gallon tanks were £5 each .You'd be looking at around... $8-15 roughly for a good second hand tank if you can';t get one for free . Hardly a bank breaker is it? . There is neither excuse nor reason to keep your betta in a tiny bowl .

Bowls were not designed for keeping fish in permanently. They are made to make money and do not take into account the demands of the animal they are designed to contain. They're purely a moneymaker and deathtrap for fish.

This is a living thing which requires a stable biological setup and regular maintenence, it is not a desk ornament.

A 2 gallon unfiltered bowl is an exceptionally poor home for a betta. While they can survive in a small amount of water, it can hardly be called living in any sense of the word. Not only is 2 gallons nowhere near enough swimming space, the curved shape of the bowl will make attaching a filter very difficult, and without a filter, you will need to do large water changes every other day to keep the levels of Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate right down. If you do less water changes than this, your fish will be exposed to those waste products from it's own faeces and urine, and will eventually become unwell and diseased.

Your fish needs a tank with a filter. You can easily pick up a 5 gallon tank second hand from garage sales, craigslist ect, for very little money. Many often come with equipment free. Even the largest available sized plastic critter keeper would be fine as a tank. You can buy a cheap sponge filter and air pump to run it from Ebay.

Every single one of the tanks in my signature were second hand, and the two 5 gallon tanks were £5 each .You'd be looking at around... $8-15 roughly for a good second hand tank if you can';t get one for free . Hardly a bank breaker is it? . There is neither excuse nor reason to keep your betta in a tiny bowl .

Bowls were not designed for keeping fish in permanently. They are made to make money and do not take into account the demands of the animal they are designed to contain. They're purely a moneymaker and deathtrap for fish.

This is a living thing which requires a stable biological setup and regular maintenence, it is not a desk ornament.

Couldn't agree more. We have 6 tanks and only paid full price for 1 of them. All the others were second hand and cost very little. It is absaloutly worth the minimal cost to provide a decent home for your pets.

Most reactions

Back