Is He Dying? Also What Is He?

sawickib

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I know it's a bad photo but anyone know what this fish is and if it's dying?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 45
I have no idea what this fish is, but what led you to believe he's dying..? Did you just get him, have you had him a long time? Is this your fish? More info is appreciated, such as how he has acted in the past and how is his behaviour different?

A fish lying on its side on the bottom is never a good sign and to be blunt yes it looks like it is dying, it would be kinder to euthanise it than let it suffer. It is hard to tell what it is as it is so dark.

Well had him for about 2 weeks and he was swimming at first but usually hiding under stuff and not really moving, haven't seen him eat anything suspected he ate some the ghost shrimp or guppies.

looks like a cichlid to me... but have no idea what kind.
if you didn't cycle the tank.. blah blah blah, never a good thing. if you don't know what cycling is go look it up on this wonderful site.
what are your stats of the tank
what other fish do you have in the tank, could have been possible aggression toward him.

if you have ghost shrimp and guppies with cichlids they'll be eaten and or killed... shrimp for sure eaten.. just so you know.. expensive treats :p

It's a predator tank 75 gallon had it for 2 years but he's new, he's with bichirs a BGK and a tire track eel, I threw in some chopped tilapia and I think he ate some and started moving more, he's not a cichlid that I know of because the tank I bought him from he was with bichirs arrowana and a leaf fish. And he doesn't look like one mor like a bass of some sort but I was told he only gets about 4" and he eats like a grouper.

He almost looks like a wasp goby or something, if so he may just need a higher salinity (brackish fish).  They do swim a bit oddly but he does look rather sickly, if you move him to a brackish tank you may have better luck feeding him.

good luck

graphic2l.jpeg

^butterfly/wasp goby (not an actual goby)

Neovespicula depressifrons

tetraodon_biocellatus said:
He almost looks like a wasp goby or something, if so he may just need a higher salinity (brackish fish).  They do swim a bit oddly but he does look rather sickly, if you move him to a brackish tank you may have better luck feeding him.

good luck

graphic2l.jpeg

^butterfly/wasp goby (not an actual goby)
He does look a lot like that but the fish I have it with are scaleless except my bichirs, so should i return him to the store?c He seems to be eating as his stomach doesnt look empty.

If he's is eating you could probably leave him where he is for the time being, like most brackish fish they can live in freshwater (though it is not optimal). I've kept brackish water indian chromides in a full fresh and had them breed and thrive for years. Keep an eye on him and see if he develops any fungal infections as they are susceptible to these when in a full fresh water system. They are best suited for life in low end brackish, somewhere between 0.003-0.005 salinity. If he is not taking food readily I would ether return him or set him up in his own brackish system. You could also try feeding him with a pole which is what I did for my hogchoker when I first got him. 

best of luck

Ok thank you ill look into returning him Id rather not have him "surviving" id like him living.

No my fish store told me its a marble datnoid, must be a dark colored one and they said they do fine in straight freshwater, thx guys he seems to be eating so i hope he does well.

Glad to hear it!!! Sorry about the misidentification man, hope it didnt cause too much of a problem on your end.

Cheers

Its all good at least you cared enough to try man! :)

I don't know a lot about Datnoids but what I do know is they can grow over a foot long and they love live food.  They can be a very aggressive fish.   

Most reactions

Back