Is golden algae eater just an algae eating fish or a literal tank cleaner?

Adi287

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I've been having about 4 golden algae eater fishes (that shopkeeper suggested that 4 would be perfectly fine). It was quite good and doing its job properly but all of a sudden after a week, half of my tank population is gone. I know there's my fault not researching about the fish and just blindly believing that shopkeeper, but I can't change the past now... So I wanna know more about the fish so I can plan on my aquarium and improve the situation.

I suspect it's the golden mutation of the Chinese Algae Eater - a very unpleasant fish. They aren't the best algae eaters, and they have been known to attack tankmates.

You aren't the first to be caught by that name. The shopkeeper probably believes they're great algae eaters. I mean, on the sales lists, it names them as that. They do eat some algae, and at times, some tankmates. They aren't usually predators and more scavengers, but in a tank, they will sucker on to targeted fish.

No fish is a tank cleaner - that's for humans, by the way.

Common plecos, Chinese algae eaters and Bala Sharks are 3 fish I'd like to see gone from the hobby. If I were you, I would take them back to the shop, even if they give you no credit. If the shopkeeper likes them, he can have them...

I agree 100% with GaryE, in fact it is more like 150%.

Behaviour and Compatibility​

Though normally sold as such this species is largely unsuitable for the general community aquarium. This does not mean to say it must be kept alone, rather that tankmates must be chosen with care.

While small specimens tend to hide away much of the time they become increasingly territorial as they grow and can display particularly high levels of aggression towards similar-looking fishes such as Crossocheilus, Epalzeorhynchos, or Garra spp.

Other bottom-dwelling fishes including cichlids and most catfishes are best avoided as they may be picked on it may even attach itself to the flanks of larger tankmates in order to feed on their body mucus.

For the upper levels choose robust, active cyprinids, characids, or similar. Ideally it should be the final addition to the tank in order to avoid it claiming ownership of the entire space.

Keeping a group is one way to reduce intraspecific aggression but at least half-a-dozen or more individuals should be purchased because they will develop a distinct pecking order and in lesser numbers weaker individuals are more easily targeted. It goes without saying that a very large tank would be needed in order to attempt such a project.
from https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/gyrinocheilus-aymonieri/

You should definitely return the fish to the store. They mislead you and should be willing to take them back. If they will not, slam them publically anywhere on the net you can. Be honest in what you post if you end up having to do so. Leave them a scathing review if they have a site with a place for reviews.

Post a picture of the gold algae eaters so we can identify them correctly.

Sorry for your losses. Rule #1 in this hobby is never take a pet store employee's advice too seriously until you've done your own research. Most of us had to learn that one the hard way, so welcome to the club.

I suspect Gary's right, that you have a Chinese algae eater. (And yes, it would help if you post a picture) Not nice fish at all. Once they grow up, they quit eating algae and become very aggressive toward tankmates. I think the only reason they're so popular is thay are rather interesting looking, and they're very easy to keep alive. Other than that, they are beyond worthless.

What the OP really needed, maybe, was an SAE (Siamese Algae Eater, aka Crossocheilos langei). These do eat algae and do not bother anything in a tank. In fact, I found they are great for keeping tetras etc. schooling together. The SAE is big enough to appear like a threat while it is not. So the schoolers school, thinking it might be a dangerl.

SAE will even eat BBA if you stop feeding a tank. I used them to help with BBA in dwarf hair grass when early on I lost one of 4 lights over my CO2 added planted tank. I had an algae outbreak before I could order and get a new bulb. So, I collected the SAE from a couple of tanks and put them all into the planted tank. They fixed the BBA and I fixed the light.

i-h6bbxc5.jpg

If you are buying them and they are young and small they are often confused with Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterum ) which look similar when both fish are young.

Most reactions

Back