Is All Well With Well Water?

FishWishDish

Reaction score
What do I need to test well water for before using it for fishies? Wanting to upgrade to a bigger tank but lugging distilled/RO water from the store is bad enough with smaller tanks.

Do those $30 home R/O units work worth anything? If so, should you get the water tested before and after, or just after filtration? What about dissolved oxygen? I read somewhere it could be lower in well water...?

Help! Thanks :)

iev never seen a working 30 dollar RO unit, only a 30 dollar deionizer.

iev never seen a working 30 dollar RO unit, only a 30 dollar deionizer.

Oops you're right--I'm looking at the tap water filter #17101175 from pet solutions $32.99

Any problems with thinking treated well-water could work?? Is it wise to use liquid ph adjuster or will the deionizing get it to a more neutral PH (from 7.8-8 or so out of the tap).

Hi, are you planning to keep freshwater tropical fish? If so, the de-ioniser will be fine, although it will lower the PH of your tapwater to about 5 or 6. This can be remedied by having a handful of coral gravel or coral sand mixed through your substrate, buffering the PH up to the required level.

The other option is to use water straight from the tap, and just add dechlorinator. Although, raising the PH seems to be easier than lowering it, so maybe the de-ioniser is best.

Hope this helps you a bit. :good:

Why don't you just have your water tested, either do it yourself or by a lab, before you start buying all kinds of stuff to treat it. It might be fine.

We've got a coldwater tank with goldfish and a pleco and a tropical 5-gal with just a betta. Probably going to upgrade the goldfish to a 30 or 55 gal once the water situation is figured out (and the finances!) and move the beta and his heater to the 10gal.

Anyone know whether water companies will test water for free? What tests do you need done (which metals, etc can cause problems at what levels) or is there a good guidebook out there somewhere for this sort of thing? There is so much to learn about water! (who knew?)

We've got a coldwater tank with goldfish and a pleco and a tropical 5-gal with just a betta. Probably going to upgrade the goldfish to a 30 or 55 gal once the water situation is figured out (and the finances!) and move the beta and his heater to the 10gal.

Anyone know whether water companies will test water for free? What tests do you need done (which metals, etc can cause problems at what levels) or is there a good guidebook out there somewhere for this sort of thing? There is so much to learn about water! (who knew?)

For the fish you have, you only need to test Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH. Your LFS should test these for you at no charge.

I still think tap water is safest unless you know exactly what has been in the well. :good:

I still think tap water is safest unless you know exactly what has been in the well. :good:

Yeah, probably, but not really possible since all we have coming into the house is well water (no water co. in our town)...I can test for all those things with the kits I have: 0,0,0,7.8-8 (higher than I'd like) ... Also no bacteria or pesticides per one of those home test kits, but I'm just wary of what I still don't know to look out for.

I see. I didn't realise your situation. Tricky!

Look in the yellow pages for companies that test private wells. This is done when the well is initially drilled, and should be done every few years.

I see. I didn't realise your situation. Tricky!
Yeah I don't want to carry 55 gallon bottles of water home for a big tank!! I bring home 10-20/week for water changes while cycling and it's already too much...!
Look in the yellow pages for companies that test private wells. This is done when the well is initially drilled, and should be done every few years.
Thanks I should have thought of that...!

We have our own well too where I live in Aurora, IL. I have 7 tanks and all of them doing very good. I havent had ANY death realated to water or the water quality. In fact i think the well water is far more beneficial for the extra minerals naturally in it. However, if you take it to be tested, because you are not paying for city water, Yes you will be charged. Homedepot, Builders Square, all sell kits for about 10-30$ depending that is a DIY home water test kit. Some kits require you to send it into a lab for a 15$ fee so make sure you look at the full directions and instructions before purchasing. My Cichlids are in heaven with well water! :)

We have our own well too where I live in Aurora, IL. I have 7 tanks and all of them doing very good. I havent had ANY death realated to water or the water quality. In fact i think the well water is far more beneficial for the extra minerals naturally in it. However, if you take it to be tested, because you are not paying for city water, Yes you will be charged. Homedepot, Builders Square, all sell kits for about 10-30$ depending that is a DIY home water test kit. Some kits require you to send it into a lab for a 15$ fee so make sure you look at the full directions and instructions before purchasing. My Cichlids are in heaven with well water! :)

Thanks Cara,
That's encouraging. I did use a home test kit already -- it's fine for chlorine, lead, copper, iron, pesticides, malevolent bacteria (coliform test), and the PH is around 8 (a bit high -- Sonoran desert has alkaline soil). That was a $25 kit. Plus I use the fish kits to test for nitrite/nitrate/ammonia and it comes out at 0 for all. Anything else to worry about?

Most reactions

Back