Is A 20L Tank Ok For Growing Out Fry?

konor123

Reaction score
As the title states, Is a 20L tank big enough for growing out fry? They are Ice Blue Zebra Fry.

Thanks in advance.

No; fry need at least twice as much water as an adult fish of the same size. I wouldn't use anything less than a 10g for grow out tanks myself and 20g would be better. You can always use a plastic storage box if you don't have/can't get a glass tank.

How many fry do you have?

I would disagree with fluttermoth in this regard as I`ve been growing my malawi fry for months now in a 20L arc tank with no problems whatsoever. My fry get to a juvenile size of approx 2.5" and there`s plenty of room for them. You do need to be disciplined with them though and a 50% water change at least every other day and feeding small amounts 3-4 times a day is a must. You`ll see very rapid growth with this kind of schedule :good:

Thank you both for the advice. Does the tank need to have substrate?

No it doesn`t need any substrate, my fry tank is bare bottomed and just has a heater and an air driven sponge filter. It`s much easier to clean out any uneaten bits of food :)

The whole point in keeping up with the water changes is to give the fry as much clean water as possible, having a substrate defies this logic as it will just help waste to accumulate. :good:

Most reactions

Back