Iriatherina werneri Care.

I prefer to keep gouramis in pairs so the third fish doesn't fight.
Ok, so try to get a female and a male?

My only fear is that when/if I order them, the breeder will get the sexes mixed up and accidentally give me two males or two females.

Ok, so try to get a female and a male?

My only fear is that when/if I order them, the breeder will get the sexes mixed up and accidentally give me two males or two females.
Ive just had a trio of honey gourami and found it pretty easy to sex them when i was in the fish store.

Great little fish :fish:

That's the problem with getting the store to order fish - the wholesaler won't bother to pick out particular fish, just send the first two they catch.

Are there any fish in stock at the fish store that you like? That way you can see the fish and choose the individual fish you like.

That's the problem with getting the store to order fish - the wholesaler won't bother to pick out particular fish, just send the first two they catch.

Are there any fish in stock at the fish store that you like? That way you can see the fish and choose the individual fish you like.
I will try to go to my LFS tomorrow and see what there is. I will bring back a list of fish I like and see if they are acceptable for my tank. Stay tuned, and thanks for your help so far! :fish:

The yellow Honey Gouramis are beautiful...
The yellow is very striking..

I don't like the red ones as I find that the color is too light....

I used to keep them in the past as I wanted to have the 3 colors of fish in my tank - Yellow, Red and Blue.
It will make your tank very colorful.

Yellow is bright and very striking...
Red is always a bold and nice color...
Blue is unique and some blue like Electric Blue will glow in the dark.
Anyway, your Neon Tetras have both red and blue.

I will call my LFS today, and ask about cost. (I plan to get two, because @Colin_T said that works out well - he said if I had three, the other one may fight)

Honey gouramis are one of the most peaceful fish I keep. I have a male/female pair and I have another group of gouramis with them in a 20 gallon and they don't bother anything. When first introduced there will be pecking to determine who is the boss of the group but after that its normally just males that spar, which rarely ends in injury.

The wild variants are very easy to sex. Female has stripe from eye to caudal peduncle and the dominant male wont. Subdominant males will have an incomplete or broken stripe.

Yellow variants are slightly harder to sex. The females are very bland, usually solid yellow and more thicker bodied. You may also see remnants of a stripe. Males are much more thin and normally have a beautiful orange-red on their tail, along with a neon yellow trim to the dorsal fin. Try to pick the fish with the most intense coloring- that usually ends up as the male. Males will also have black throat if they are in breeding mood, but in the yellow variant its usually diminished, but its still a very deep black.

Be aware of two things. Make sure the store gets real honey gouramis, T.chuna and not red thick lipped gouramis, Trichogaster labiosa. These two species are very often mixed up.

Also be aware that sub dominant males will look like females, wild variant or not.

Called my LFS - The owner said if he didn't order them, they would be $5 - $6 each. Thats a pretty good price.

But here again, my dad is without a job, and my allowance was stopped. I don't know when I will be able to get them. :(

Called my LFS - The owner said if he didn't order them, they would be $5 - $6 each. Thats a pretty good price.

But here again, my dad is without a job, and my allowance was stopped. I don't know when I will be able to get them. :(
Do you have birthday money left?

See if you can fulfill any odd jobs around your neighborhood. You will make a good buck if people hire you and you will have enough money in no time.
My “neighborhood” (I say it like that because we live literally miles apart) is full of hard working do-it-yourself kind of people.

I would love to do it, but I doubt they would accept.

I am wanting to ask my parents if I can get a job at my LFS, as I can legally work. That would bring in a lot of fish money.

My “neighborhood” (I say it like that because we live literally miles apart) is full of hard working do-it-yourself kind of people.

I would love to do it, but I doubt they would accept.

I am wanting to ask my parents if I can get a job at my LFS, as I can legally work. That would bring in a lot of fish money.
So ask them:)

Most reactions

Back