Introduction

Susie Sunshine

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently gotten a 36 gallon bow front aquarium. I have 7 Tiger Barbs and 6 Red Barbs. I am not really sure they are Red Barbs because they are stripped just like the Tiger Barbs but are a little longer. I need advice on what type of tank cleaners I need for these fish. Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Susie Sunshine

Hello Susie and welcome 🙂

If you post some photos of your fish, someone on here will be able to identify them for you.

Can you clarify ‘tank cleaners’? Are you after shrimps and things, or cleaning equipment and products..?

Hello! Welcome to the forum! Tiger barbs are notorious for being an aggressive fish in a tank but you may be able to have a clean up crew of some sort... I will let someone of more experience with these fish respond.

Hello Susie and welcome 🙂

If you post some photos of your fish, someone on here will be able to identify them for you.

Can you clarify ‘tank cleaners’? Are you after shrimps and things, or cleaning equipment and products..?
To clarify what I meant was I need some type of fish to clean up the bottom of my tank. I also have a sand bottom. Thank you!

Welcome to TFF

TBH, tank cleaning is the responsibility of the fishkeeper, not other critters...and with TBs, your choice of tankmates is limited, because of their behavior described above

Post some pics of the "red barbs", maybe we can help with ID

To clarify what I meant was I need some type of fish to clean up the bottom of my tank
If you mean to clear up uneaten food, it sounds as though you are feeding too much.
If you mean to clear up fish poop there are no fish which do that; as SlapHppy said, clearing up poop is the fish keepers job.

Welcome to TFF!

As others have mentioned, you will need to be the tank cleaner. That being said, you cannot go wrong with Corys for the bottom portion of your tank (and elsewhere on occasion). Not sure if they are compatible with your current stock though, others will advise. You will want at least 6 Corys as they do better in groups.

What are your water parameters, pH and GH, KH ?
This will determine the best fish to keep.

Hi & welcome to TFF. Any photos of those red barbs? Just to be sure if they are really red barbs...

Most reactions

Back