Internal Filter Which Is The Best

rustyspurs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi there, ive just got my ammonia and nitrate down to the right levels and my filter decides to play up.
i turned it of to do a water change( the tanks cycling) and its stopped working when i turned it back on.

i took it apart and got it working again(sort of), its making a slight grinding sound and dosent seem to be as powerful as before.
i dont want weeks worth of water changes, cycling to go to waste so was wondering what the best internal filter is.
i have a 4ft by 1ft by 1ft, id rather just buy a new filter, better safe than sorry :rolleyes:
thanks in advance youve all benn a great help these last few weeks :good:

I had a Fluval 3+ in my 125L originally, then upgraded it to a Fluval 405 cannister.
Just recently I plucked the old 3+ out of a cardboard box, dusted it down, popped it into a tank, turned it on and away it went :good:
My husband came in a short while later and said "haven't you turned it on then?" - I had it was just pretty much silent.
I just bought a new filter for my betta sorority (after hearing some bad news about stingray filters) and went for the Fluval U2.

On a tank your size if your set on an internal then I'd say probably go for the U4 (the U range has replaced the old "plus" range I believe). If you're going to have any messy fish, lots of fish or big fish then I'd say think about an external - just can just pop your cycled media into it.

I had a Fluval 3+ in my 125L originally, then upgraded it to a Fluval 405 cannister.
Just recently I plucked the old 3+ out of a cardboard box, dusted it down, popped it into a tank, turned it on and away it went :good:
My husband came in a short while later and said "haven't you turned it on then?" - I had it was just pretty much silent.
I just bought a new filter for my betta sorority (after hearing some bad news about stingray filters) and went for the Fluval U2.

On a tank your size if your set on an internal then I'd say probably go for the U4 (the U range has replaced the old "plus" range I believe). If you're going to have any messy fish, lots of fish or big fish then I'd say think about an external - just can just pop your cycled media into it.
havent even looked at external, have quite few fish, do you think i would be better with external, are they much more expensive?

havent even looked at external, have quite few fish, do you think i would be better with external, are they much more expensive?

I have the fluval 105 on an 125 litre tank all though i do believe its best to go for the next one up if your tank exceeds this size

i hav the u4 and only problem i have with it is comin to clean it you follow the instructions to keep it up right when takin it out to stop debris comin out and no matter how hard you try it always happens

Yes, externals are more expensive but then they also give more room for media and you can stick all sorts of different media in there, including lots of ceramic noodles which bacs love to grow on =)

Yes, externals are more expensive but then they also give more room for media and you can stick all sorts of different media in there, including lots of ceramic noodles which bacs love to grow on =)
ceramic noodles lol you learn something new everyday :good: thanks for all your advice

i'm going for an external as theyre so much more effecient imo.

if you go for an external i would say an eheim (doggies danglies imo) but they can be expensive; or a tetratec, which i have personally never used but they have good ratings, are apparently very good, and not as expensive as the eheim.

i have heard fluval external arent very reliable

i'm going for an external as theyre so much more effecient imo.

if you go for an external i would say an eheim (doggies danglies imo) but they can be expensive; or a tetratec, which i have personally never used but they have good ratings, are apparently very good, and not as expensive as the eheim.

i have heard fluval external arent very reliable
thanks for all the comments folks. got a fluval 2 plus for a tenner, its working like a dream. didnt realise how bad my old filter was(it came with the tank) no wonder its not cycling any quicker. it was rubbish

Most reactions

Back