Interesting platy types

BigLou

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
yellowplaty4.JPG

this one has a funny yellow tint to it

pointyfinplaty.JPG

notice the protrusion from the middle of the fin

not sure on the first one, the second looks like a red wag, but the photo is kinda blurry and i didn't see the protrusion on the fin!

The first one looks like it might be a young hi fin platy that's just starting to develop the hi fin trait. Can't guess on the color from your photo. Is it yellow on the body then changing into red on the tail? Maybe like THIS but in a hi fin variety like THIS ONE?

Thanks bear for all your help. I think the first one is the strawberry platy, I'm not sure if the high fin will appear or not. And the second is the plumetail platy that you referred to. Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it. :thumbs:

Got any clearer photos? I might be able to look it up, I have a number of books on livebearers with many photos.

I've seen the first one before, I actually had one with a similar pattern.

the verdict is that the first one WAS a strawberry (dead now) and the second is plumetail, still have a couple left

Actually the first one was a Variatus....it may well be a Strawberry Variatus, but it's still a Variatus. I've owned a few, neat guys. Sorry you lost it :(

The second is a Red Wag Plumetail. Nice color :)

Most reactions

Back