Installing First External Filter

David J

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

I have a new aquarium set up a few months ago. It is a Fluval Roma 90 and i am currently using the Fluval U2 internal filter that came with it.

I'm looking to upgrade to an external. How do the hoses on an external attach to the tank? I have half moon shaped holes at the lid on the back which cables etc come out of but assume they won't be big enough. I saw somewhere something about cutting the glass. I wouldn't be. Keen on that.

What do you think? Is there certain filters that are easier to install than others?

Thanks,

David

Hey i had the roma 125 and fitted an external....had to cut the plastic lid on each side at the top just big enough for the hoses to fit...dont need to cut the glass. Good luck...external filters are so much better

Hi

Is that the plastic removable section on the top that you mean? My top is in 3 sections, the lights in the centre then a piece to the front and back. The fixed plastic that the lids sit on has the half moon holes I mentioned.

If I understand correctly, you are saying you had to cut from the back removable section at an area that lines up with the half moon holes?

What happens to the hoses? Do they fix on somehow or do the just hang loose in the water? Sorry to be such a dummy.

Thanks

David

You're no dummy! All legitimate questions.

An external filter has two hoses that will need to go from the filter itself to the inside of the tank, using hoses that are about an inch in diameter, depending on the filter you buy. One hose pumps water into the tank, the other filters the water out of the tank into the filter. All in all they take up less room on your tank than a hang-on-back (HOB) filter. 

There's absolutely no need to cut holes in the glass, unless you install a water-changing system that requires it, but that's a whole other topic.

Nice one. Thanks. Does the plastic lid back section cut easily and tidily? I'm not very handy with stuff like that. I'm likely to do more damage than good .

Usually there are sections that more or less just snap out. With mine, all I have left are the small ends, just enough so the lid stays on the tank.

Cool, thanks. I'll have a proper look at the externals up close in my LFS and measure up to see what I need to cut. There are no pop out bits on mine.

Most reactions

Back