Injury Or Something Else?

Gini

Reaction score
My plec got a hole in his fin yesterday. I was down and out with the flu when I noticed it, so I haven't been able to keep as close an eye on him as I would have liked. But, yesterday I noticed a small hole in the center of his big fin on his back (is that the dorsal fin?). It didn't look like fin rot to me, more like he ripped it on something. I haven't noticed him scratching on anything particularly, but he does tend to have some aggressive behaviors (chasing after our other catfish and some little fish coming up missing, etc). Today when I checked on him, it has ripped all the way through, making it more of a tear than a hole.

Any idea how he got it, or what I should do to help/treat him? Just leave it alone and see what happens?

Thanks!!!

I've had this happen to plecs once in a while, they tussle with other plecs & sustain a little battle damage. Keep up with the water changes, & add a little melafix.

Thanks for the response. I don't have any melafix... what is it, and can I just pick it up at any old fish store?

Every fish store I've seen has it, it's tea tree oil, a natural medication.

Most reactions

Back