Inch Per Gallon Rule

When stocking a tank do you follow the inch/gallon rule?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• Total voters
The inch per gallon rule is a load of cack in my opinion.

If can lead to serious overstocking.

Would anyone in their right mind really put twenty Dwarf Puffers in a 20g tank?

Would you put a foot long common plec in a 12 gallon tank?

Inchworm said:
If you are a lazy fishkeeper, then stick to the rule or understock and you will be able to get by with once a week cleaning and water changes.
...and here I thought that weekly cleanings and water changes was being pretty good about it. So far, I've been changing water and cleaning weekly (some weeks I clean more than others) and I thought I was on top of things. I wouldn't say I'm lazy, it's just that I'm a family man with two small children, an apartment to manage, a full time job and I'm in graduate school. Making time to clean the fishtank is sometimes difficult, at least more than once a week. I guess I really don't have a heavy load in the tank, but I'll have to keep this in mind as I add more fish.

A bit of common horse sense is needed when dealing with the "rule". Putting a great white in a wading pool is just a stupid suggestion. However if you are diligent and take care of your little buddies then going over the suggested limits should not be a problem. Keep your substrate clean and remove dead or dying plant sections and leaves. Do not let algea get out of control and that goes for snails as well since they do as much harm as good. Not to say all snails are all bad but they do release additional waste to your system. Over-feeding is also a big problem. I starve my fish about every ten days, that is not feeding them for one of their daily feedings. Also a varied diet will help keep them healthy

Griz said:
According to he poll, 11% voted yes.

I would hardly call that a rule. :rolleyes: :p :lol:
I was wondering where all the posts are from the people who did vote yes. Stand up and be counted. Make your voices be heard!

Most reactions

Back