Inch Per Gallon Rule

When stocking a tank do you follow the inch/gallon rule?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• Total voters

FoundMoney

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the inch per gallon rule and how many people stick to it. Are there instances when you can stretch it a little bit? I've read that people who keep African cichlids tend to overstock to counteract aggression. Are there other times when you can stretch it a little?

This came up in another thread when I was discussing how to stock my tank. I currently have 8 flame tetras (16 inches) and bristlenose (6 inches) in a 30 gallon tank. I'd like to add 3 cockatoo cichilds soon, 1 male and 2 females (7.5 inches). If you follow the inch per gallon rule that would basically fill the tank. I don't want to add a ton more fish than that, but I'd like to get more bottom dwellers or catfish than just the bristlenose. Would adding a few otos be really stressful? What about a small school of corys? My thinking is that if I add them just a little at a time and watch the water chemistry it might be OK.

As a rule for beginners its a good guide...

But once you've got the basics - its out the window :nod:

We work to 2" per gallon - sometimes more

But we monitor the water quality and filter more than 'needed' (you cant overfilter in my opinion)

Like Smithrc said, its a great guide for beginners, but now, when dealing with larger, messier, needier fish, I have to think more about filtration, swimming space, territories...things like that. Especially with my Oscar around.

Both my ten gallon and my five are overstocked, but I keep up with stuff and keep it clean, so it doesn't matter.

I tend to overstock smaller guppy tanks, too, esp. when there's fry, it's really hard to keep counting how many inches I've got. I think what's important is you are aware of the rule, aware of what fishes you absolutely can't keep in what size of tank, and aware of what you must do to make up for any overstocking (e.g. water changes, increased filtration, etc).

Cories and otos are both very low waste producers so they're not going to have much of an impact on the bio load at all. Tetras are low waste producers too. You could add a small school of cories and be just fine :)

OK, thanks for putting things in perspective. So what you're saying is that the rule is good for beginners and that if you go over an inch per gallon you need to be aware of possible dangers. Also you need to be aware of what type of fish you're putting into tank. For instance, an oscar can grow to 14 inches but that doesn't mean I should keep two of them in my 30 gallon tank and think I'm OK because it's less than an inch per fish.

So my plan of having a school of tetras, 3 dwarf cichlids, a school of corys, a bristlenose and perhaps a couple of otos is not outrageous, right? As long as I add the fish over time, monitor the water chemistry, make regular water changes and don't get too crazy with the amount of fish I should be fine, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Sounds good to me, but depends on the species of dwarf cichlids as they usually do better in pairs and the size of tank as they are usually teratorial especially while breeding. And yes you are right, the 1" per fish rule does not mean 2 14" oscars in a 30g, thats where the whole 1" per gal rule fall on its face.

So, your choice of fish sounds good if you are having 1 pair of peacefull cichlids (still may chase fish away when breeding).

Jon

For cichlids I was thinking of cockatoos. That's why I wanted three - one male and two females. Others have warned me about having only a pair as the male may torment the female to no end. At least with two, although one female may become "dominant" there is another fish to distract the male.

I have a thirty US gal. with a 7" pleco, 3 Swords at 7" combined, Neons 9" comb, 4 Glowlights at 5.5" comb, 3 Yoyos at 7" comb, and 4 Black widow tetras at 7" comb. All sizes are approximate. About 42-45" total for this tank.

I don't subscribe to the "1 inch per gallon" rule at all. I'm not sure that is even useful for beginners. If a hobby refers to something as a RULE, a beginner will naturally follow it. Not a good thing IMHO. I'm quite certain that following this one has resulted in plenty of disasters.

Who decided that this was to be a "rule" anyway? I vote to abolish it. :D

Wow! I didn't expect to have so many people dispute this rule. At least now I know to take it with a grain of salt. However, I think the concept is useful, especially for someone like me. By thinking in terms of inch per gallon it made me consider my tank stock a bit more. It forces me to carefully consider all the fish that will be living in my tank.

To a lot of people a 30 gallon tank is big. You should have seen my wife when I brought mine home. She thought it was huge. I told her it isn't huge if you're a fish. I could see people easily overstocking the tank thinking they had a whole ocean to work with.

I imagine that I'll be stretching this rule a bit myself, but now I know to consider the kind of fish, the adult size, swimming space, territories, and bioload. I also think it's important to add fish slowly.

as said it good for a beginer.

but me personaly I never stuck to it and proberly never will, and have even been known to have about 48 inch's (thats about 40 smallish fish.) in my 15g.

The inch per gallon rule is only a guideline, but it works for the more casual aquarist. If you are willing to spend more money for a bigger filter or do more work in the form of bottom vacuumings and water changes, it can be exceeded by quite a bit.

If you are a lazy fishkeeper, then stick to the rule or understock and you will be able to get by with once a week cleaning and water changes.

Some fish are more delicate or big waste producers, and the rule is "out the window," when it comes to them. :D

Most reactions

Back