In your experience, what is your favorite Fish aggression level to keep?

What’s your favorite Fish aggression level?

• Aggressive (arrowana, Dovii, larger catfish, Peacock Bass, larger bichirs, etc)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Intermediate (Convicts, Ram cichlids, Smaller Bichirs, Small Puffers, Angelfish)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Community (Platy, Cory Catfish, Neon Tetras)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I’ve only kept community, so I can’t say

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’ve only kept intermediate and/or aggressive so I can’t say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I feel like we are going to get a lot of community tanks in here, since it is called planted tank forums, but what is your favorite Fish aggression level to keep? What fish is it? I’ll start.

My fav is Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpurra which would fall in the intermediate area. What I look for in a fish is personality, and these fish give it to you! They don’t get big, and are fun to watch eat. I dislike community tanks, as I think they are not personable, but that’s matter to opinion. Let’s hear yours!

Intermediate but it depends on what you call aggressive behavior is.
DSC00898.JPG

What about an option for those of us that have a single Betta? Where would that fit..? He’s potentially aggressive..? But I wouldn’t know at what level to scale that.

What about an option for those of us that have a single Betta? Where would that fit..? He’s potentially aggressive..? But I wouldn’t know at what level to scale that.
You are right he is at the top of the list. Like Super Nasty Aggressive. or I Hate Everyone Aggressive

Let me clear two things up...
1. Arowanas are not aggressive. :)
2. Most Cichlids are not aggressive. They’re territorial. They’re only aggressive if they can’t have a territory the size they want/need. It’s us that make cichlids aggressive because most of us don’t keep them in big enough tanks.

My favourite fish range from very aggressive to totally peaceful, so I’m in all the categories.
But I only keep peaceful tanks.

Let me clear two things up...
1. Arowanas are not aggressive. :)
2. Most Cichlids are not aggressive. They’re territorial. They’re only aggressive if they can’t have a territory the size they want/need. It’s us that make cichlids aggressive because most of us don’t keep them in big enough tanks.

My favourite fish range from very aggressive to totally peaceful, so I’m in all the categories.
But I only keep peaceful tanks.
You are right Arowanas are really placid and don't really care about much.

For me Oscars have the worse attitude of any fish I have kept. I know that some of the other Cichlids compare, but my Oscars always seemed to have more character than any cat or dog. They gave me a huge amount of enjoyment and loved them like any other part of the family, I can't say that about a lot of the other fish I have kept.

For me Oscars have the worse attitude of any fish I have kept. I know that some of the other Cichlids compare, but my Oscars always seemed to have more character than any cat or dog. They gave me a huge amount of enjoyment and loved them like any other part of the family, I can't say that about a lot of the other fish I have kept.

My favourite fish. :)

When I said cichlids aren't aggressive... make that adult cichlids (with enough space). Immature Oscars can be a pain in the... if you try to keep them with other fish, as can a lot of young big cichlids.

...my Oscars always seemed to have more character than any cat or dog.
I think 9 out of 10 cats (and dogs) would disagree, but I totally agree that they have more character/personality than most fish. More so even than cichlids that are more intelligent (Oscars aren’t the brightest light bulb in the box sometimes).

Stuff your fish in tightly, make sure there are lots of breeding hormones flowing, throw in some maimed fish after starving the tank for a few days and you'll have all the aggression you want.

'Aggression' is a behaviour and rating it is both relative and subjective.
To answer your question, my answer is zero.

BUT don't mistake a lack of aggression for a lack of personality.

Read @Byron 's posts on stocking and behaviour.

There was a time, back in my teens, when some so-called aquarists revelled in the violence their fish could inflict on others...and I'm not just talking about 'Siamese Fighting Fish'. These rather sad individuals basked in what they preceived to be the reflected glory of their fish's accomplishments and the lads competed amongst themselves over who could have the 'hardest' fish.
Idiots all...and none of them were successful in later life, with early deaths and prison being their endings.

When it comes to aggressive fish, in my opinion nothing compare to African cichlids. Out of all of them pound for pound its mbunas. I have kept them for a while and whatever you do aggeression persists on the tank. I do a scape change every 2 weeks so they don't get territorial but still aggression occurs. Very entertaining fish though. My favourite part is feeding them. I enjoy feeding that tank the most out of all of my tanks.

Most reactions

Back