In A 30-gal

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
The tank is a 30-gal with small rounded gravel, a bubble curtain and a heater to keep it between 72-74 degrees. (In my experience with my outdoor pond, they are much more active and healthy looking at those temps.) The filter is rated to filter 300 gph, and I have a smaller one (for a 10-gal) to add to it if need be.
I am thinking of 2-3 fancy goldies, maybe a few WCMM.
What do you think? This is my first time keeping any indoors. I used to have a pond and took it down a couple of years ago and miss my goldfish very much. :wub:
Thanks!

Yes you can keep 2 fancy goldfish permanently in that set up, you might be able to fit one more if the length and width of the tank is good and the filtration is strong enough, but 20gals for the first fancy and 10 for every one after that is the general accepted minimum amount of gallons :thumbs: .
I'm not sure about the white clouds though...fancy goldfish can eat them, some people have been able to keep them alive with fancy goldfish, but they're not totally safe with them. They're shoaling fish so a minimum of 5-6 is advised if you do go for them, sub-tropical temps are the best for WCMM's (19-23 degree's) :thumbs: .

OK, well if not WCMMs, is there some other fish that would work? Like I said, I have a heater to keep them about 72-74, so anything that would work with that temp. I just don't want to go with a fish that looks tropical (ie, cardinals), I want to stay with fish that you'd find in the same water in nature, KWIM?

OK, well if not WCMMs, is there some other fish that would work? Like I said, I have a heater to keep them about 72-74, so anything that would work with that temp. I just don't want to go with a fish that looks tropical (ie, cardinals), I want to stay with fish that you'd find in the same water in nature, KWIM?

Zebra Danios. :)

I'd say only two fancies in a 30gal, three little ones might look like they fit but when fully grown you'll be doing water changes every day :crazy:

well, seeing as though some people have recommended sub trops, I reckon a sub trop species of cory should be alright, though I wouldn't fancy being underneath a fancy (killer joke :hey: ) . Also, I heard people usually keep goldies with big rocks so they can't swallow them but cories prefer sand - maybe sand will be alright for fancies as well. Not too sure about the dojo loaches though.

Ahhh...that's a terrible joke!!! :lol:
I have a very small pebble substrate. So far my cories have been fine in it (in the tanks I use that in), so I hope the goldies will be ok too. I've read where dojo loaches are good mates for the goldfish, but I always like to get opinions/experiences from others.

I wouldn't advise corys as i know for sure they have been known to be eaten by goldfish in the past.
How long and wide is the 30gal exactly? If its long and wide enough, you could keep a weather loach with the goldfish as these coldwater going on sub-tropical loaches have been known to be good tankmates with goldfish;

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/weath...nguillicaudatus

You do need very good filtration for them as they need lots of oxygen, particularly if they are being kept in the warmer range of temps. However if you have gravel substrate, i'd definately advise changing it to at least very fine rounded gravel (sand is by far the best though) as these loaches like to burrow in the substrate.

Most reactions

Back