Improving Filtering Of A Aquarium

ACQUAUOMO

Reaction score
Hello:

I started up my tank two weeks ago, I plan to cycle fish free for about 3 more weeks. The tank is a 30 gal model pumped and filtered by a Fluval 205. The pump and filter have been running continuously along with a aeration system running 12 hours per day. There is 5 small fern plants, 1 medium side large leaf plant, and some small rock. The substrate is small to medium stone about 1.25in. in depth. My concern is that the water appears to me slightly cloudy maybe some particulate matter suspended in the water. To others it may not be of concern but I have observed many fish tanks both Marine and Fresh and most had almost crystal clear water. Don't get me wrong it doesn't look like a pond but, never having a Aquarium to take care of I'm not sure if what I see is of concern. Maybe it's a precursor to algae but, no Sunlight is available at the tank location so one of the necessary components to most Flora propagation is good old HPL, Hydrogen Plasma Lighting from a distant source... one Parsec away. What do you folks think? you know a great deal more than I do about this topic... I'm a Novice but, a good challenge one or twice a month keeps me in shape.

Ciao,

Don
B-)

Don,
If the tank has been running for two weeks, then it most likely isn't particulate matter in the water. To me it sounds like a bacterial bloom, and it is quite normal in newly set up tanks. If it is indeed a bacterial bloom, we can try to explain what is happening.

Our water authorities put chemicals into our water supply to help control bacterial growth.

Chlorine is a highly efficient disinfectant, and it is added to public water supplies to kill disease-causing bacteria that the water or its transport pipes might contain.

Once our water conditioners neutralize the disinfectants, our water is able to support bacterial growth again. If the conditions are favorable for bacteria to multiply and there is enough food, bacteria will start to grow.

Although milky cloudy water can look bad, it's pretty harmless. It has been said that these bacteria simply dine on any organic matter found in the water.

Bacteria are vital in recycling nutrients, with many steps in nutrient cycles depending on these organisms, such as the fixation of nitrogen from the atmosphere and putrefaction. However, most bacteria have not been characterised, and only about half of the phyla of bacteria have species that can be grown in the laboratory.[4] The study of bacteria is known as bacteriology, a branch of microbiology.

Basically, they are just breaking down organic matter (decomposing it) producing ammonia and other nutrients. They are just performing their role in the cycle of life. Once the food supply has gone down and your tank has properly cycled, it will most likely go away on it's own with no action from you.

Hope that helps!

White cloudy water means that your nitrogen cycle is going forward. Nothing to worry about. Check ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels daily and follow the instructions on fishless cycling. Check this article HERE.

After your tank is cycled completely, you can use active carbon filters for a more clear water.

Good luck.

There are only a few situations in which you need to use carbon. The best use of carbon is for removing medications or chemicals from the water. The other uses include removing tannins from the water (tea colored).

You don't need carbon in modern fish keeping it's used by most experienced fish keepers just to remove medication from water once treatment is done. If you can fit another sponge(maybe filter floss if its after another sponge) or some bioligical media like ceramic rings i would personally.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/348425-cloudy-water-again-grrrr/ Post #9, 10, 11 and 12

Carbon in a tank with plant's could very well work against the plant's by adsorbing same nutrient's that Plant's use for growth, which leads me to suggest that you make sure the plant's you have are truly aquatic plant's.
Some large chain stores, as well as smaller fish stores, may offer plant's that may be terrestial plant's rather than true aquatic.These plant's may do okay for a few weeks,but will begin to die and rot and this too could lead to cloudy water as well as water quality issues.
You mention extra aeration, and if this is being provided via air stone,, then I might consider running this only at night in tank holding plant's.

Most reactions

Back