I'm Not Entirely Sure If This Is The Correct Place To Post This...

donny7

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Long story short, I recently ventured into the world of fish. I've cycled two tanks since december, had them stocked and ready to go. About a two weeks ago, I was terminated from my job. I apparently broke company policy by violating the safety rules. I severed my thumb open on a broken piece of tile, was let go, and continue to have thumb problems. Thankfully my rent is paid for the next month and I spent the very last of my money on internet, diapers for my son, and what little groceries I could buy. I'm trying to pursue a job, but it is hard, because I have also recently acquired a record.

Needless to say, my fish are taken care of. They have heaters, tons of food, conditioner, decor, everything they need. Until last night. The heater in my 30 gallon broke completely, shocked the living hell out of me, and I'm surprised it did not fry my fish. The temperature declined overnight from a steady 79 to a, seemingly chilling, 70. I have absolutely no money whatsoever, or any way of getting some, until the beginning of may... or if I get lucky and somebody hires me.

For some reason, I am quite attached to my fish. I love watching them, taking care of their tanks, and in general being a fishkeeper. I've had tons of hobbies and none have ever proved this rewarding or fun. I don't want my stock of mollies, sword tails, and loaches to inevitably die off so I was wandering if anybody here had a spare heater they could possibly part with? I am stateside, so. It doesn't have to be fancy, just something to keep them alive.

I appreciate any and all consideration and help. :)

I have a few used heaters just sitting around.... but unfortunately I'm in Canada and your fish probly won't make it by the time the heater arrives. :sad:
but hopefully someone is going to help you out!
good luck!

Could you not just focus a 100 watt light bulb on side of tank as a temporary measure?

Not against it just close.

Your mollies and swordtails will be fine at 70F. That is about the temperature we used to keep them in the 1950s and 1960s. I am not certain about the loaches but maybe you could move things around to place the loaches in another tank. The suggestion by NoisySprings is along the right lines if your fish must be kept warmer. None of us used real heaters in the 1950s. Instead we would buy incandescent light bulbs in the right wattage that running them around 8 or 10 hours a day would get the temperature of the tank water about right. It did a good enough job that we were quite successful getting even hard to please fish like bettas to breed at their ideal temperature. On a 30 gallon tank, my first attempt would be about a 75 watt bulb. If that does not hold the desired temperature, adjust up or down as needed. If you can move the loaches, just use your regular lighting and don't worry so much about temperature.

Most reactions

Back