Im Havin A Horrible Week

InLoveWithFish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ever since i came back from break 6 of female bettas have died in six days...
thankfully now i have it all under control..

but like usual... it only gets worse before it gets better....

well my tank heater went a little crazy and wen i came back my tank temp was 90F...
all my corys died...
my remainin three bettas were fine.. they had stress stripes but were still alive.. so i turned off the heater completely and let the water naturally get down to room temp....

well with the corys dead i was going to do a partial water change.. but im doing a melfix treatment right now, which is defintely working, so should i wait til the treatment is over or do the water change now?

I would do a water change and just continue with the meds as usual.
So sorry to hear that all of that is happening :(

I know how you feel, right now we might be looking at a close to total wipe in our 28gallon tank.. and as you can see from my sig, that's alot of fish. Already lost some, but I've started the tank on meds so I'm hoping I can save the rest.

yea i started my meds with ick guard first.. well that didnt work becuz the fish wit ick died immediately after i put it in the tank.. like the very next morning.. so i continued it jus in case.. and then it didnt work.. and they kept dying.. well i did a partial water change and started melafix.. and no more died... so im glad 4 that.. but my pout corys have been boiled to death...

quick question

with the ick treatment, did u add the full dose in one go?

ok as far as im aware with ich treatments over here, u dont dose for a full 7days straight

the one i used b4 u dose on day 1, 2, 3, and 6

chances are uve OD'd with it and thats why your fish have died

ive seen people do it soo many times b4, od on ick treatment and kill their fish

one of those glass heaters... i rarely use a heater because our rooms on campus are warm so my tank is always at 76F.. so my fish are fine now.. except 4 the boiled corys.. but i had brought two other females that i was preparing to add to the tank later.. i think i might add them after i do this water changed that im workin on right now...

I was just curious 'cause I just bought a new heater for Sato and I'd like to know if there's a possibility of it not being a very good heater. I have one of those Elite mini submersible 25 watt heaters.

Yeah Hagen makes the Elite heaters. I've also just recently heard the paint on them will flake off very easily in the tank and that your fish might mistake it for food, so I'm going to watch mine closely now. Pft, paint on a heater... :no: Sorry, didn't mean to get so off topic. :unsure:

I would wait until whatever's going on in your tank settles before you add new fish. That, or take the remaining guys out and jar them (treat them individually in the jars), scrub the tank out- use bleach and vinegar- then let it air dry, and re-set it up with plenty of dechlor. If you've had 6 die in the last 6 days, adding more is like giving the new guys a death sentence. You wouldn't want to be perfectly healthy, and then be forced to go live in a sealed off house where six people had just died from unknown causes, would you? I wouldn't.

Boiling isn't reached until 100° F. You know that. Your cories didn't "boil"- they just got a bit too warm. ;)

Beyond that, I'm having a bad week as well. Yesterday my ear drum ruptured. So, I have a sinus infection, ear infection, and ruptured membrane that could cause permanent hearing damage. AND I'm supposed to be taking an exam today in my Med. Physiology class...now I have to take it on Weds, but still feel like crap and two days is not long enough to study the entire respiratory AND renal system. :(

Oh, and I have a hagen elite mini 50w heater. I hate it. I don't think it's very accurate, and even if I turn it up, I can't get it past 76°, even though it's not supposed to be preset. I have a regular sized hagen elite submersible 50w heater and it's awesome. Pretty accurate. I'm getting ready to buy some new heaters. I think I'm going to go with the visi-therms. drsfostersmith.com has them on sale for under $15...which is pretty awesome since they range from $22-30 in pet stores here.

im sorry to hear that constantine...

and yea i have a similar heater.. im jus going to unplug it unless i need it...

i had only been doin the ick for two days.. but u might be right.. everything is fine now.. i finished my water changed and im puttin my darlings back in..

they look fine and theyve been doin fine for a couple days now... my other girls have been on standby for a couple days now.. i was waitin until i had my tank str8... but i will wait until im sure theyre good.. not that they jus look good...

Most reactions

Back