im going away for the weekend

tdins_2

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i found out today i have to go away and my guppie gave birth yesterday and the other is sqauring up what do i do

Sperate it if you can, apart from that there is not alot you can do except hope. If the tank is planted heavily you may get away with it.

Good Luck

put her in a breeder box unless you have a heavily planted tank or you can buy some baby hideouts that float at the top of your tank and the other fish will leave your fry alone

Not to be ornery, but I think the breeder box is a BAD idea in this case. let's think about this -

Let's say (just for the sake of my arguement) that she drops tonight, after you leave. She has all the fry in the box, they fall down into the trap, and everything seems cool. Two problems here. A breeder box is stressful on your female. More stressful than an isolation tank or a breeding net, in most cases. Having her there for a long time (three days) may cause a great deal of stress, which quite often leads to an immunity reduction, and consequently disease.

Also, she's going to get hungry after she gives birth. Very hungry - not right away, but soon. She will be in the box, able to see but not get to the fry, and may injure herself attempting to reach them and eat them.

Just my $0.02!

If there are lots of plants in the tank and the tank has been established for awhile I don't think there would be a problem. With lots of plants the babies will have plenty of places to hide. If its only for a few days the fish should all be fine.

Exactly , guppymonkey. I say leave'er in the main tank, or a well planted isolation lank.

No, we don't expect people to unearth them.

edit: Makes me wonder how the guppies got on though!

Most reactions

Back