I’m Giving Up On Fish

Glad you're feeling better. I've known a few very experienced fish keepers (including myself) who felt the need to take a break from, or even retire from the hobby. It's OK if you hit that point--it's a demanding hobby, and sometimes an incredibly frustrating or even heartbreaking one, and when you achieve the holy grail of multi-year tank stability, it can even become a bit tedious. That's why I tore down most of my tanks last fall, and felt at peace with my decision.

That said, I'm so glad things are looking up for you and your fish. Sometimes it's good to get really sick just because it feels so amazing when you get better. :) I sort of like winter for the same reason.

...and I'm really thinking I might need to resurrect my 29 gallon as a paludarium...

Last edited:
I guess I misunderstood you before. I’m sorry. I thought you said that ya’ll (there goes my Southern lingo) go to a pharmacist and if he feels you need something more than OTC then you go to doctor. Colin_T has said that antibiotics are very restricted and only used as a last resort. With my history of strep and tonsillitis, I can’t wait. I need antibiotics quickly as I have actually had my throat swell so bad that I could barely swallow and SOB. We have to have a physicians prescription too. We can’t just get antibiotics either.

My mother was a doctor's receptionist back in the days when all prescriptions were free and she used to tell of how (un-named, anonymous) patients would ask for prescriptions for the least little thing. Oh doctor I have headache, I want a prescription for some aspirin. We were brought up that if it could be bought over the counter, you didn't bother the doctor you bought it yourself. But if the condition didn't go away or was more serious you went to your GP. Like when I had a really bad cold; after a few days I developed a high temperature, was diagnosed with a chest infection and given a prescription for antibiotics. I treated the cold with over the counter meds but when my temp went up, I called the doctor.

My mother used to tell stories of how in her childhood in the 1920s and 30s (before the NHS), if they were ill they had to choose between the doctor's fees and other items. My mother had to forgo a school outing as she dislocated her thumb shortly before and her parents couldn't afford both the doctor and the school outing.

My mother was a doctor's receptionist back in the days when all prescriptions were free and she used to tell of how (un-named, anonymous) patients would ask for prescriptions for the least little thing. Oh doctor I have headache, I want a prescription for some aspirin. We were brought up that if it could be bought over the counter, you didn't bother the doctor you bought it yourself. But if the condition didn't go away or was more serious you went to your GP. Like when I had a really bad cold; after a few days I developed a high temperature, was diagnosed with a chest infection and given a prescription for antibiotics. I treated the cold with over the counter meds but when my temp went up, I called the doctor.
That’s how it is here too, actually.

This is the same feeling I had when losing too many fish, especially when I lose my algae eater “Barry”

... With my history of strep and tonsillitis, I can’t wait. I need antibiotics quickly as I have actually had my throat swell so bad that I could barely swallow and SOB. We have to have a physicians prescription too. We can’t just get antibiotics either.
These days a lot of doctors here are prescribing Betadine Throat Gargle for sore or infected throats. It disinfects the area and you can buy it over the counter (no prescription needed).

Alcohol (25-30%+) can also be used as a gargle for sore throats. Do it 3-5 times per day for a week and it can help. Don't swallow the alcohol unless you want to get drunk.

These days a lot of doctors here are prescribing Betadine Throat Gargle for sore or infected throats. It disinfects the area and you can buy it over the counter (no prescription needed).

Alcohol (25-30%+) can also be used as a gargle for sore throats. Do it 3-5 times per day for a week and it can help. Don't swallow the alcohol unless you want to get drunk.

When I was a child, they would swab the throat and tonsils with that. I hated it!

In other words, drink a dram of whisky 3-5 times per day. I can get behind that.

This has been a horrible day. Went to the doctor for bad sore throat and I have tonsillitis/pharyngitis. Came home sick as a dog, wanting to just lie down. Went to let the dogs out and found my pond almost empty. Something wrong with filter. Went to turn pump off and couldn’t get door to fuse box open. Standing in heat with fever. Finally got it open by banging with a hammer. Turned pump off. Hubbie called and I jumped on him for letting the fuse box door rust. (Poor guy). Filled the pond back up and monitoring it now until hubbie gets home. I’ll have to keep filling it as filter is leaking. So...Most of you know I have been battling ich. It’s 14 days now. Last night all going well. No ich. This morning a spot found on 3 different fish. Ich cycle should have been broken by now. So I started lowering temp and going to let it go. I’ll pick out fish as they die and close down the tank. I’ve had it. Totally had it! I will NEVER buy another fish.
Fish definitely are alot more trouble than we originally thought, i feel like maintaining my dogs is easier than my tank lol

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back