I’m Giving Up On Fish

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
This has been a horrible day. Went to the doctor for bad sore throat and I have tonsillitis/pharyngitis. Came home sick as a dog, wanting to just lie down. Went to let the dogs out and found my pond almost empty. Something wrong with filter. Went to turn pump off and couldn’t get door to fuse box open. Standing in heat with fever. Finally got it open by banging with a hammer. Turned pump off. Hubbie called and I jumped on him for letting the fuse box door rust. (Poor guy). Filled the pond back up and monitoring it now until hubbie gets home. I’ll have to keep filling it as filter is leaking. So...Most of you know I have been battling ich. It’s 14 days now. Last night all going well. No ich. This morning a spot found on 3 different fish. Ich cycle should have been broken by now. So I started lowering temp and going to let it go. I’ll pick out fish as they die and close down the tank. I’ve had it. Totally had it! I will NEVER buy another fish.

Too long with this hobby. Very frustrated and tired. Ich has kicked my tail. I can usually get a sick fish well and now I can’t kick something as simple as ich. :(

I am sue that the fact that you are not feeling well is definitely not helping matters at all... Sometimes when we don't feel well it is difficult for us to put things into perspective... Ich has, more than likely, kicked all of our tails at one point in time. Just keep doing what you know is best for your fish and then you will know that you did what you could. That is all that anyone can do... is their best.. and it sounds like that is what you are doing! Revisit your thoughts of quitting when you are feeling better, you might change your mind. ;)

Im really really sorry that happened deana, and I can't even begin to understand how frustrating that is. You're under a whole lot of stress right now, so maybe you could benefit from a break? Ask your hubby to oversee things while you get some rest and heal up from your own sickness. Then you can approach it with a clear head and decide if this is the right path for you

I won't push fish on someone who doesn't want them, but I think you're such a kind and caring presence in the community and you've helped everyone so much. You're a fighter, and you fight to keep fish healthy and safe. It would be really sad to know that you were kicked out of the hobby by stress. Please take it easy, and don't let your frustrations cloud your feelings <3

I am sue that the fact that you are not feeling well is definitely not helping matters at all... Sometimes when we don't feel well it is difficult for us to put things into perspective... Ich has, more than likely, kicked all of our tails at one point in time. Just keep doing what you know is best for your fish and then you will know that you did what you could. That is all that anyone can do... is their best.. and it sounds like that is what you are doing! Revisit your thoughts of quitting when you are feeling better, you might change your mind. ;)
You should work in healthcare. Going to take a nap...

Im really really sorry that happened deana, and I can't even begin to understand how frustrating that is. You're under a whole lot of stress right now, so maybe you could benefit from a break? Ask your hubby to oversee things while you get some rest and heal up from your own sickness. Then you can approach it with a clear head and decide if this is the right path for you

I won't push fish on someone who doesn't want them, but I think you're such a kind and caring presence in the community and you've helped everyone so much. You're a fighter, and you fight to keep fish healthy and safe. It would be really sad to know that you were kicked out of the hobby by stress. Please take it easy, and don't let your frustrations cloud your feelings <3
You people are better than me in making people feel better :blush:
Oop! Made an emoji mistake as always...

Last edited:

Thanks, my friend. Going to take my prescriptions and go to sleep for awhile. I will always love fish and helping others. Just tired of my own right now. Very frustrated! :)

I fought ich in my 35 gallon tank and lost all my serpae tetra and my beloved Angelfish. But the pleco and black skirt tetras were not affected. I kept the temp up to 86 degrees for 3 weeks and kept vacuuming the substrate. Ich has disappeared and has been gone for 4 months now. I restocked the tank and am back to enjoying a healthy tank.

You can reestablish your tank. You're a fighter. Don't give up.

Last edited:
I fought ich in my 35 gallon tank and lost all my serpae tetra and my beloved Angelfish. But the pleco and black skirt tetras were not affected. I kept the temp up to 86 degrees for 3 weeks and kept vacuuming the substrate. Ich has disappeared and has been gone for 4 months now. I restocked the tank and am back to enjoying a healthy tank.

You can reestablish your tank. You're a fighter. Don't give up.
How long did you have to treat? I just completed 2 weeks. Still have ich! I’m using heat, salt, and Ich-X.

Thanks, my friend. Going to take my prescriptions and go to sleep for awhile. I will always love fish and helping others. Just tired of my own right now. Very frustrated! :)
Hopefully you're seeing this after you've taken a lovely nap and are well rested! Welcome back, I hope you're feeling better!

I definitely want to stress that breaks are okay, for any length of time. Don't push yourself to complete burnout, and above all do what is best for you! If you need to have a friend take care of your fish for a little while until you're ready to come back to it that's an option too! Be good to your mind and your body, your health is important and rewarding.

Above all else we're here for you. I'm sure you can tell already that there's a lot of people that care about you and want to see you keeping up with the things you're passionate about. Fish keeping is fun and relaxing most of the time, and while this hiccup is very frustrating and off putting you still have tanks full of little minds that you're growing and nurturing through life. It's very fun to think about! You know the saying, when life gives you lemons...

...make lemonade, and drink up the reward from all of that hard work!

Sorry for your fish troubles and hope you get to feeling better soon.
Last summer our club president did a water change as usual...lost his entire fishroom - a devastating loss (suspect the water board increased the chloramine or some other additive in the water). He still hasn't really recovered from the loss of so many fish.
Hang in there...The measure is not how many times we get knocked down, but that we get back up.

Battling with ich in my 165L at the moment! Such a frustrating process. Hope you feel well again soon

Most reactions

Back