I'm Embarrassed and Frustrated With my Shrimp Tank

MuddyWaters

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I started a cherry shrimp tank from a well seasoned tank that I've had for a couple of years- 15 gallon Fluval Flex. I've posted a few things about it. Y'all, my shrimp are dying. Not all at once and I don't see any obvious signs of stress, but I saw the crawdad eating another dead one today!

The water parameters are fine, the water is crystal clear, the shrimp act normal, there is no "white ring of death" on any of them, they're not hanging at the top or acting funny, but either they are unbelievable at hiding or the numbers are dwindling.

I think I have found the problem: I am doing big water changes. I change 5 gallons at a time about every 3 - 4 days in the tank. I add Bacter AE here and there (only a couple of times thusfar). I keep an eye on the GH and will add some Aquavitro "Shrimp GH" when needed to keep it at the right level (my water is soft), and, of course, I add Prime. I only feed every other day and even then only a few grains of Shrimp Cuisine. I have tons of plants in the tank and I have recently added a guava leaf and a GlasGarten "Crispy Cave" which is edible and encourages bio-film. I also add a piece of cucumber here and there (mostly for the oto- he loves it, but the shrimp do too).

I've read and read and I found an article that talked about doing water changes small and often. They said that bigger water changes will shock the shrimp and can kill them. I've been doing big and often. That's the only thing I can think of that would be causing this. Any thoughts? Man, these are supposed to be the EASY shrimp to keep! BTW the 3 amano shrimp I have in there are doing great and growing. The Mexican Dwarf Crawdad is also thriving- obviously...he's eating the dead ones...

What am I missing??? @MaloK - I think you posted what you do and I remember thinking it sounded excessive- can you revisit what you did? Obviously I'm not doing enough....

I’m pretty new to keeping shrimp seriously but I do wish you luck!! It’s always distressing to see populations shrinking.

I have two shrimp only tanks. I perform 20% water changes only when my API water testing kit shows the slightest level of nitrate accumulation. Ammonia and nitrite are always zero. So far I have not lost a shrimp. My tap water is hard.

Cherry shrimp have an expected lifespan of two years..is that how long you have had these shrimp? Some of these deaths could be of old age.

I also lost shrimp after doing a large-ish water change. I wonder if it takes too long for the water-hardening measures to counteract the new, soft water? I'd be curious if the result is smaller water changes or just a better product; I was using a bottle of shrimp mineral supplements with each water change, but after it ran out I didn't but more because it didn't seem to affect the hardness. Now I am wondering if the minerals it was adding *were* necessary, just not the same thing as GH and KH.

My current status on the shrimp tank.

18 adults at introduction 3 weeks ago. water was very poor in minerals. plants where in there for 2 months.
doa and those that have not made a week at least 5... 2 death on arrival 0ne jumped out and at least 3 have not shown since. roughly. And they they where also slowly vanishing at the same time.

But with the ammonia spike tribulations I Simultaneously slowly brought My calcium over 140... I didn't even care for the other hardness tests.

Some other shrimps never showed up.

But... Babies already started swirling around...

At week 2 there's where only 7 adults showing up. But some of them showed successful molt and New armor that came up with Very good muscle "space" for the future.

No more loss.. adult and babies... And I have hydras patches pretty much all over the place. But My 2 Nerites are plowing them on regular basis.

Some of the early babies are now reaching the size of some adults I got in the first place and start pushing around.

New Tiny tiny ones appeared this week.

As for feeding schedule. I let hem starve 4-5 days then put a little food. If they come out in masses. I feed them micro bites until they are not interested anymore and start to hide back. I leave the rest there. an wait for another 3-4-5 days. when they start to forage on regular basis.

If you see them taking sunbath everywhere... Mission accomplished.

I have GH of 8 and have never had a problem with large water changes and shrimp. Among the cherry shrimp there were some deaths the first weeks and months but then the population exploded and I have far too many, around 100.

People say cherry shrimp are delicate and demanding but I have found the opposite. All they need is a cycled planted tank. I have them in a large heated tank that gets 50%+/week water change and a small unheated one that gets 40%/month - both do fine (5 years).

Hopefully yours will stabilise too.

When I first got cherry shrimp they all died one by one. The last shrimp was a berried female. One morning I found her dead too, but there were tiny things moving round the tank - baby shrimps. That was in 2013 and my current shrimp colony is descended from those babies. I have added more shrimp over the years to introduce new blood.

The information from my water company for 2022 is GH average 110ppm/6.29 dH and KH average 51 ppm/3 dH. The pH varies during the day (due to plants) and is around 7.3.

My current status on the shrimp tank.

18 adults at introduction 3 weeks ago. water was very poor in minerals. plants where in there for 2 months.
doa and those that have not made a week at least 5... 2 death on arrival 0ne jumped out and at least 3 have not shown since. roughly. And they they where also slowly vanishing at the same time.

But with the ammonia spike tribulations I Simultaneously slowly brought My calcium over 140... I didn't even care for the other hardness tests.

Some other shrimps never showed up.

But... Babies already started swirling around...

At week 2 there's where only 7 adults showing up. But some of them showed successful molt and New armor that came up with Very good muscle "space" for the future.

No more loss.. adult and babies... And I have hydras patches pretty much all over the place. But My 2 Nerites are plowing them on regular basis.

Some of the early babies are now reaching the size of some adults I got in the first place and start pushing around.

New Tiny tiny ones appeared this week.

As for feeding schedule. I let hem starve 4-5 days then put a little food. If they come out in masses. I feed them micro bites until they are not interested anymore and start to hide back. I leave the rest there. an wait for another 3-4-5 days. when they start to forage on regular basis.

If you see them taking sunbath everywhere... Mission accomplished.
Yeah I'm definitely overfeeding.

I have GH of 8 and have never had a problem with large water changes and shrimp. Among the cherry shrimp there were some deaths the first weeks and months but then the population exploded and I have far too many, around 100.

People say cherry shrimp are delicate and demanding but I have found the opposite. All they need is a cycled planted tank. I have them in a large heated tank that gets 50%+/week water change and a small unheated one that gets 40%/month - both do fine (5 years).

Hopefully yours will stabilise too.
Wow this is encouraging. I thought that because the tank had been stable for so long already I wouldn't have to deal with an adjustment period, but when I think about it, that tank was not hospitable for shrimp, so I've had to do a lot to get the GH up etc. I guess that will cause a period of adjustment. Knock on wood, I'm going to keep after it.

When I first got cherry shrimp they all died one by one. The last shrimp was a berried female. One morning I found her dead too, but there were tiny things moving round the tank - baby shrimps. That was in 2013 and my current shrimp colony is descended from those babies. I have added more shrimp over the years to introduce new blood.

The information from my water company for 2022 is GH average 110ppm/6.29 dH and KH average 51 ppm/3 dH. The pH varies during the day (due to plants) and is around 7.3.
It's nice to see similar results. It seems I'll need to just keep at it. My GH is about 125ppm. I haven't checked KH but usually around 2 degrees. I haven't focused as much on that.

I use Salty Shrimps minerals. But it buffers my water a little too much, so I cut back on the dose and add a little more calcium alone.

My Tap is GH=60-80ppm, KH10-20ppm, PH=7.0-7.2

The Tank is GH=120-140 ppm, KH=50-60ppm, PH=7.6-7.8.

I also have one amano... Google lens states it is a Caridina Typus, that hiked along with the Neocaridinas. and from it's growth in 2 weeks, it looks like she like the water too.

I can see that I have 3 different size range of babies at the moment. I'm pretty lucky I think. That is nearly impossible in a tank that is only a month old. Except if I got berried ladies that survived from the start.

My LFS told me it is normal to have a % of loss in the beginning. It looks worst when you start with a low number of individuals. He suggest 3-4 and up to 6 dozens to start a colony. But at over 100$cad a dozen. I sure hope 18 will be enough.

The first few days are critical for the individuals and The first 100 days are critical for the colony. But If the water ain't right. The first weeks are less than exciting, even discouraging :(

But when I saw the first freshly molted shrimp swimming around like it was a new life... I cracked open a beer, telling myself "AT LAST !!!"

I replaced the Almond Leaf that was in there yesterday.

Before / After
AlmondLeaf.jpg

Most reactions

Back