I'm considering buying a ten gallon hexagon tank. Talk me down.

I had the love fish Panorama which is very similar after a google search, the filter could do with being replaced but apart from that it is a good aquarium.

The lights are basic but will happily grow low light demanding plants.

For that price it is a bargain.
I did get excited for a minute thinking it was their 20 gallon, which would have been a steal for £30, then realised it was the 10 gallon, lol. I'm still happy to make that deal though. I'll almost certainly add a sponge filter with ceramic rings to it, and lights can always be replaced later down the road if I decide I want more demanding planting going on.

I've been planning to make another underwater bonsai "tree" with java moss attached to sponge that's super glued to the branches. I made one before that I was really pleased with, but put into my dad's tank for his fry to hide in. One of those in the centre of a cube with a nice sandy substrate might look quite nice, and not fuss about lower light. Have plenty of java fern too. Since it'll be a guppy fry grow out tank, makes sense not to have it too densely planted, since it makes it harder to catch them up to take to the LFS. I kept the 15 gal grow out tank bare bottom, with java fern and moss attached to driftwood pieces I could lift out easily, for ease of catching, cleaning and water changes.

@NCaquatics - the 7 gal is kinda overpriced for a teeny tank. (£30, but with a lot of things like tapsafe and plant fertiliser) I was just thinking compared to the ten gal corner one (listed for £50! :eek:) , that a 7 gallon cube would still be better for fish than a tall, weirdly shaped corner ten gallon.

Also saw another tank.. a five foot tank with two huge Oscars, dozens of smaller cichlids, what looked suspiciously like a common pleco (it was massive) and something that looked like a syndontis catfish, but I think might have been something more predatory that gets to monster size. I couldn't name it, but I'm sure I've seen them on the Ohio Fish Rescue youtube channel. Tank looked horribly overstocked, but I don't really know cichlids or oscars. How many gallons is a standard five foot tank usually?

I did get excited for a minute thinking it was their 20 gallon, which would have been a steal for £30, then realised it was the 10 gallon, lol. I'm still happy to make that deal though. I'll almost certainly add a sponge filter with ceramic rings to it, and lights can always be replaced later down the road if I decide I want more demanding planting going on.

I've been planning to make another underwater bonsai "tree" with java moss attached to sponge that's super glued to the branches. I made one before that I was really pleased with, but put into my dad's tank for his fry to hide in. One of those in the centre of a cube with a nice sandy substrate might look quite nice, and not fuss about lower light. Have plenty of java fern too. Since it'll be a guppy fry grow out tank, makes sense not to have it too densely planted, since it makes it harder to catch them up to take to the LFS. I kept the 15 gal grow out tank bare bottom, with java fern and moss attached to driftwood pieces I could lift out easily, for ease of catching, cleaning and water changes.

@NCaquatics - the 7 gal is kinda overpriced for a teeny tank. (£30, but with a lot of things like tapsafe and plant fertiliser) I was just thinking compared to the ten gal corner one (listed for £50! :eek:) , that a 7 gallon cube would still be better for fish than a tall, weirdly shaped corner ten gallon.

Also saw another tank.. a five foot tank with two huge Oscars, dozens of smaller cichlids, what looked suspiciously like a common pleco (it was massive) and something that looked like a syndontis catfish, but I think might have been something more predatory that gets to monster size. I couldn't name it, but I'm sure I've seen them on the Ohio Fish Rescue youtube channel. Tank looked horribly overstocked, but I don't really know cichlids or oscars. How many gallons is a standard five foot tank usually?
Probably 90 gallons or more. But not 100% sure exact gallons

I would always lean towards a tank that can accommodate more fish!!! :p Or shrimp, etc..
Shrimp! I could have the blue neocaridinia I want in there :D Not for a while yet though, will let it establish first, and soft water tank will take priority.

Any suggestions for soft water loving fish to share the 15 gallon with the otos? I like the idea of a simple, lightly stocked, two species tank. I'd love a little group of panda cories, but not sure a 15 gallon is big enough for 6 or so of them along with 7 otos. I like the idea of some nano fish. Like celestial pearl danios, purple harlequin raspbora, ember tetras, or chili raspbora. Something along those lines. I haven't looked into care requirements yet, but just some early ideas, fish I like the look of. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Oh, new tank just arrived! Will leak test it tomorrow, but for now, it looks great. Really good condition, and clean. Turns out the guy used it for a guppy grow out tank. lmao

Shrimp! I could have the blue neocaridinia I want in there :D Not for a while yet though, will let it establish first, and soft water tank will take priority.

Any suggestions for soft water loving fish to share the 15 gallon with the otos? I like the idea of a simple, lightly stocked, two species tank. I'd love a little group of panda cories, but not sure a 15 gallon is big enough for 6 or so of them along with 7 otos. I like the idea of some nano fish. Like celestial pearl danios, purple harlequin raspbora, ember tetras, or chili raspbora. Something along those lines. I haven't looked into care requirements yet, but just some early ideas, fish I like the look of. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Oh, new tank just arrived! Will leak test it tomorrow, but for now, it looks great. Really good condition, and clean. Turns out the guy used it for a guppy grow out tank. lmao
Easily could do pygmy cories...

Pandas, a small group species only i think could be *okay* in a 15g, but not any cory larger

Easily could do pygmy cories...

Pandas, a small group species only i think could be *okay* in a 15g, but not any cory larger
Oh I wouldn't go any larger than a panda. When you say species only, do you mean not with the otos or any tetra?
I'm happy to wait for panda cories if they would do better in a 20 long to 30 gallon :) I'm not looking to overcrowd the tank or have the fish feel cramped, and since cories are social and need groups of six or so, that does make sense that a bigger tank would be better for them.

I'm sure I'd be quite content with the otos, and one of the nana tetra types!

Having tanks from 5G up to 75G (and everything in between), I have to say that my 29G is probably my fav. Perfect size for a good community, large enough to clean easily, and small enough not to take an hour to fill. :). It always looks like a portrait to me.

Ember tetra, chilly rasbora, celestial pearl danios?
The world is your oyster when you have softwater. Since you will never see the otos in the daytime you could still have cories and it will be a 2 species tank.
I was gutted about finding out the otos were soft water fish, but pretty happy about it now. Of course I wish I'd known before putting them in hard water, but this has kinda forced my hand to have a soft water tank, and it opens up so many possibilities! Do I qualify as having MTS now that I have three and a half tanks? Or does the diagnosis only become official once they're all set up? :D

I see my otos during the day! Tend to be stuck to the glass or resting on something rather than actively schooling together, but as long as I don't startle them when I approach, they're chill with me being next to the tank staring at them or taking photos. I do see the flashes of their white bellies as they school together when the light goes out though.
Having tanks from 5G up to 75G (and everything in between), I have to say that my 29G is probably my fav. Perfect size for a good community, large enough to clean easily, and small enough not to take an hour to fill. :). It always looks like a portrait to me.
It sounds as though you have a lot of tanks! I would love a 29 or 30 gallon long for the aquascaping and choice of stocking they offer, and the dimensions are pleasing to the eye. Probably also great for cleaning substrate, compared to a high and deep tank. When I do water changes on my dad's 55 gallon, or clean the back glass, it's just high enough to make reaching the gravel, especially at the back, uncomfortable - despite my being 5'9". I really must get a syphon with a longer tube attachment.

I didn't really plan to get a tank at all, it just kinda happened. Got a 15 gal, got guppies, those guppies did what guppies do and I soon realised I needed another tank to separate the sexes, and the cabinet (reinforced) was just the right size to have two 15 gallons right next to each other. You know how it goes, I'm sure! Of course, I could move those two 15 gallons and have a 30 gallon there instead... haha, just kidding! I won't be getting any more tanks for a long time now. From 1- 3.5 tanks in a year is a lot, and I have no more room.
The otos and cories would be fine together
That's good to know, thank you! I think I'll wait for a while on the pandas. I don't want to overstock it and need to do lots more maintenance when I've just added another tank to take care of. I could always bump the oto school from 7 to 12 if more bottom dwellers seems right, and I'm sure the otos would like that.

perhaps Chocolate Gourami? your PH would need to be pretty low though

Most reactions

Back