im board

michellebradford

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ive got a very large tank and some very old fish (other than the guppie babys the others are a good few years old, the babys are all of to new homes soon) and i want to try somthing new to spice things up in my tank. I done the whole live bearing thing and i want to do something new any ideas?

15 guppies adults and babies (2 adults)
1 large red tail shark
6 neons
3 penguins
3 sord tails adults 1 male
1 large black widow
3 rummy noses
3 harqulins
2 cat fish
1 large pleco
1 xray

any advice or ideas would be great, thanks
Michelle :dunno:

Getting bored is very common. When that happens, I usually go to the local fish store and drool over stuff that I cant afford. Then I come home and imagine that costly fish/decoration/filter or whatever in my tank. :p

How many gallons does your tank hold? Its difficult to advise you fish without knowing what kind of space you have to fill out.

well u could try breeding one of the non livebearers as you've already done guppys

3 penguins
1 large black widow
3 rummy noses
3 harqulins
1 xray

The above are shoaling fish, and are all in pretty low numbers. (am assuming the black widow, and xray are tetra- my LFS sells tetra under these common names). Do you want more of them? If not, you could take them back to the LFS .

Neons can live for AGES - 10 years I think is one of the longest recorded, so I wouldn't rely on them being about to die of old age if you're thinking of replacements!! I don't mean that to be as callous as it sounds....

Honestly, I think you need to decide which of your fish you really like, and work around that - you may need to consider rehoming others.

What do you like, and how big is your tank?

Judging from the size and types of fish you have present in your tank i'd say its roughly 20gallons and no more, in which case your tank is very overstocked and you should serioucly consider reducing the numbers of fish you have by rehoming them im sorry to say.
You should measure up your tank and work out how many gallons it has and the lengths of all your fish to give an ancurate idea of what needs to be done about your situation, its in the best interests of your fish as i doubt they'll be happy in that tank at all if it is 20gals.

if you give us some idea's eg dwarf ciclids,rainbow fish, etc etc then,people may be able to help.what i like may be a lot different to what you like.really need some tank dimensions as people can't really suggest fish that may grow too big for your tank.sorry,not much help.maybe reading as much as you can/looking at pictures on this forum may give you some idea's,then members may be able to suggest tankmates,compatability issues etc.ps tank does look approx 20 ish gallons at a guess,which will rule out most ciclids,plecs,etc.

Mo_loves_fish said:
CLOWN LOACHES
[snapback]895395[/snapback]​
GROW TO BE A FOOT LONG and are not suited to living in anything less than 75g :rolleyes: please only recommend fish that you actually know something about beyond what they look like.

if it is a 20 gal then the only you can really do is get a larger tank, keep as is or get rid of the shoaling fish that you have a few or less of and keep like 2 larger shoals of them. other than that i dont see much else you can do.

(Very large tanks are like 100+ gallons, just to let you know!)

Judging by your pic your tank looks no more then 30 gallons, probably 20. I would suggest finding new homes for the following fish, as they get too big and you need more space until you can start adding more fish:
the redtailed shark
the pleco
the swordtails (they don't get too big for a 20 gallon but they are quite big and take up more then 10 gallons of your tank water already)

I would also suggest once the guppy fry grow up that you find them new homes too.

And...what are the two catfish, the xray, and the large black widow? (I'm assuming the last two are tetras?)

After that (I know that it seems that you would be getting rid of a lot of fish but in the end it will turn out!) I would suggest getting rid of one or two of the groups of tetras and filling out the others to atleast 6.

After all that you may still be overstocked but we can help you figure out what to do when you get to that point.

Most reactions

Back