Illiniguy's 72 Bow Journal

IlliniGuy18

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I just set up my brand new oceanic 72 gallon bowfront in my apartment. I'll be posting pics as I progress. Please offer your thoughts, ideas, and anything else as I get everything going. Here is what I have right now:

Fish_Tank_Journal.jpg

-72g Oceanic bow front aquarium, stand, and canopy
-Eheim Professional II external filter
-150 W Tronic heater (not in tank yet)
-80 lbs EcoComplete substrate (not in tank yet)
-CoraLife 48" Power compact lighting with moonlights (2 10,000k bulbs, 2 6,700k bulbs) Total of 260 Watts or 3.6 W/gal
-2 Aquaclear powerheads (not pictured yet)
-1 black/blue background (not pictured yet)

Still need to purchase
-Fish (rummynose, cardinal, neon, and other tetras probably)
-Plants (recommendations please... I know I want to try riccia though...)
-CO2 Injector w/Solenoid etc.

I think that's it for now... let me know what you all think!

MJ

Welcome to TFF!

Nice tank with infinite potential. :)

That's a lot of light! Please make sure you plant very heavily with fast growers from the outset. Heavily means over 75% of the substrate covered. That's a lot of plants but you won't regret it, if you underplant you will get algae. Get cheap fast, easy weeds to start with. The pinned algae thread has a good list. Once the tank is establidhed you can grow slower growing, more demanding species and aquascape accordingly.

Get your CO2 running as early as possible, ideally before planting. Don't have the lights on before planting either.

With that much light, CO2 and plants (bio-mass) you will need to fertilise the water column. Have you heard of EI? This is an effective, cheap and simple way to supply all your plants with the necessary nutrients but you'll need to do 50% weekly water changes. There's a pinned thead by zig on here.

I'm assuming you live in a warm house? 150w heater seems a little under powered.

Keep us updated won't you and please don't forget to plant heavily!

Thanks for the advice! I am aware of EI and plan to dose once I get going... My apartment does remain relatively warm, if the heater can't cut it, I just get another. Looking forward to hearing from more of you all!
Thanks!

Looks like a great setup. Urbana-Champaign, Springfield, or Chicago campus? I just came from the Urbana-Champaign campus in June after three years there working on my Doctorate. Nice to see a fellow Illini around. :)

With that lighting and CO2, the world will be your oyster as far as plants are concerned. Do you want a more Nature style aquarium, ala Amano, or do you want to go for a Dutch aquascape. Both are equally lovely, just different. It's been a while since I've seen a really superb Dutch setup. Your tank would be great for one.

llj :)

I just graduated from UIUC in May and now live and work in Chicago.

Question: How big of a CO2 Tank do I need and how long will each size last?

You could probably get by with a 10 pound tank, that should last maybe a year at 1BPS, I have a 20 pound tank myself.
I got the tank for 50 bucks filled, normally it would of cost me 140 bucks for a 10 pound, needless to say why I went with the 20 pound tank.

Ps: all prices I have qouted are Canadian

:drool: :drool: :drool: That's nice, really nice, thank you George. I've had my fix. Well, if you click on the link George has provided, you'll see a beautiful example of a Dutch-style aquarium. It mimics the order of a well-planted garden. It uses predominantly stemplants in it's design, and it really emphasizes leaf contrast and a structured design. Many species of stemplants can be used, and special attention is paid to plant placement and its look against other plants. In addition, the substrate may be manipulated to create terrace effects. Tanks of this type tend to de-emphasize the fish, and stocking is kept to smaller shoaling fish (tetras, rasboras, etc) and of course the clean up crew.

Though no less structured, IMO, Nature-style aquariums have the look of a snapshot from nature. They may seem simpler than a Dutch layout, but many of them employ Eastern principles of composition and design, creating very complex aquascapes that deceive the eye by looking extremely simple. Nature setups favor less species than the Dutch design, and I see more use of different types of plants, anubias, crypts, ferns, etc rather than predominantly one type. In this design, the fish play a more important part, often becoming the focal point of the picture. You have this simple tank design, and then boom! A large shoal of cardinals. It has quite an effect.

At least I think these are the differences in a nutshell. I think both are similar with regard to maintenance. One is not better than the other. Nature aquariums are more popular now, as Takashi Amano, the Nature-style guru, has done a great deal to get this style out there to the public. I don't see a "Dutch" aquarium plant book anywhere on the shelves. :lol:

Congratulations on your recent graduation. I hope you're not too cold up there in Chicago.

llj :)

Anyone have any recommendations for good starter plants for dutch style set up?

Anyone have any recommendations for good starter plants for dutch style set up?

Most reactions

Back