Identify The Fry

Hughesy

Reaction score
Yesterday got home to find a shock. 2 fish had died, however all of a sudden Fry started appearing from hiding places.

In the end I managed to net 6 of them and get them into a breeding Net, with some Baby fry food for them. There are still 1 or 2 knocking around the tank too, however as yet im still waiting to capture these.
Now in the tank we only have Frogs, Guppies and Platys, so now I need to know who had these babies.
Would it be a dead fish that did? (Do they die after giving birth? I don’t know)

The little babies are like a orange/ flesh type colour, about 2 or 3 mm in size and they have little black eyes.
Anyone know what iv got?

Yesterday got home to find a shock. 2 fish had died, however all of a sudden Fry started appearing from hiding places.

In the end I managed to net 6 of them and get them into a breeding Net, with some Baby fry food for them. There are still 1 or 2 knocking around the tank too, however as yet im still waiting to capture these.
Now in the tank we only have Frogs, Guppies and Platys, so now I need to know who had these babies.
Would it be a dead fish that did? (Do they die after giving birth? I don’t know)

The little babies are like a orange/ flesh type colour, about 2 or 3 mm in size and they have little black eyes.
Anyone know what iv got?

hi i would say they are platies , guppys usually have no colour. :good:

Anybody else agree with that?

Does any1 have any pictures of fry? Is there any differences between the two types of fry do you know?

Im not sure they have much colour either but if any then id say its like an orange colour.

id say platies.. my guppies were either almost seethru or had a black stomack.

What color are your platies? From the differences I could see between our fry was the guppies were alittle skinnier and elongated, and platy fry was kind of chubby and round almost, I also notice that my guppy fry are alittle braver and openly swim around the tank, rather than my platy fry who I dont see usually for a week after birth, than I will see them pop out now and then. Both fry tend to be the same color for me at birth, kind of just gray almost see through kind of. But if you have black platies or really orange platies they do tend to kind of have that coloring with them. But my rainbow platies and Goldtwin bars look similar in color to any guppy fry that I have had.

Have 2 orange and black tuxedo platies and 1 yellow platy. The little fry seem to be like a pale orange colour, and they will freely swim around the tank without a care in the world. They are also a nightmare to try and catch to get into the breeding net.

So far we have managed to capture 8 and there is definitely at least 1 more knocking around inside the tank.

If they are Platys then how easy are they to manage to help survive through the early stages? They are in a breeding net and I am feeding them fry powder food.

Captured 1 more fry this morning - found the little bugger hiding in a corner! Thats 9 captured now!

Most reactions

Back