Idea's For Fish For My Tank Please

maidenfan

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi nearly ready for fish in my tank just wondering what you guys suggest?

my tank is 130 litres fully cycled with live rock.

i thought a pair of clown fish prob percular

then a dwarf lemon peel later what you think?

hi nearly ready for fish in my tank just wondering what you guys suggest?

i thought a pair of clown fish prob percular

then a dwarf lemon peel later what you think?

Since your post I went looking at 'clown fish, WOW I counted 42 types or breds of those listed as: 'Amphiprion' clowns There were so many different colors. I am kinda of new at providing shelter and care to fishs.

I don't know if they have different care conditions or not, I'm sure they must.

Please consider posting some pictures of your tank. Maybe a picture with each new fish? Always like to see others fish.

Yeah, starting off with a pair of clowns seems to be the way to go. Clowns look awesome and are a very hardy fish. They also usually take a wide variety of foods (my own picky little guys notwithstanding). I vote for a pair of clowns :good:

Yep, clowns are so full of personality you'll fall in love with them right away :D

Are you planning on adding corals later on?
Lemon Peels are reportedly one of the worst DA's to munch on your corals. Nice fish but i prefer CB or Flame's as they are more 'reef safe' but it's your tank :good:

Post pics when you get them :thumbs:

hi thanks for your advise,

hadn't really intended on having corals but always intended on having clown fish whether it be 1 or a pair, but read that having clown fish without anemones is regrded as being cruel to deprive them of their natural partners?? which does make sence, but will a pair be happy without an anemone??

:/

hi thanks for your advise,

hadn't really intended on having corals but always intended on having clown fish whether it be 1 or a pair, but read that having clown fish without anemones is regrded as being cruel to deprive them of their natural partners?? which does make sence, but will a pair be happy without an anemone??

:/

One clownfish will be ok; and the anenome is not neccessary. I believe you stated your tank was 110 liters? Anenomes are difficult to care for and if it perishes in this size tank it will take everything with it. They need excellent water quality and lighting.

I had a pair of false perculas and lost one. The other is still doing well and has actually made good friends with a skunk shrimp. But they definetly are a bit more fun to watch in pairs. If i was you I'd grab a pair of clowns and X the anenome until you have a large tank capable of housing it easier.

As far as other fish you may want to try for that size tank -

May be too small for the dwarf angels as they are very territorial. My buddy recently had a bad experience combibng clowns and dwarf angels in a small tank...

The Royal Gramma is an easy, attractive, and peaceful fish. Check out a few species of blennies and gobies as well. The red sea mimic blenny is a small, interesting fish who'll seem to watch you as much as you watch him. Have fun!

Clown fishes will give your tank color and personality :fun: . I had this discussion earlier this year, before I purchased my pair of Ocellaris Clowns, many had their opinions. One great comment was that most clowns will find other critters to Host, besides Anemones. I think SF05 had a clown, that used his magfloat as its host. :D . One of my clown took to 1 of my feather duster.

Attachments

• pic33_host.jpg
    pic33_host.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 84
Thanks for all your suggestions so far, my tanks is running as follows

Temp 24c
SG 1.023
Ph 8.2
Am 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 10

Clean up crew as follows

6 Turbo snails
4 equal handed hermits
2 red legged hermits
1 peppermint shrimp
5 various crabs which came in the LR

tanks is now fully cycled and has been running for 2 months and have been doing weekly 10% water changes, i will try to post some pics later :D

Looking good so far!

Just one thing, I really wouldnt bother with an anenome, they tend to be more hassle than they are worth in most smaller setups. I would think about getting an LPS coral such as torch, hammerhead or rose euphillia for the clowns to host.

You could think about going for a goby of some sort, maybe a group of yellow bean gobies or perhaps a shrimp / goby pair.

If you want a Dwarf Angel then either a Coral Beauty, Flameback or Flame are the most common ones and I would have thought that if you otherwise stock lightly it would be fine in a 130L tank.

Ben

I think SF05 had a clown, that used his magfloat as its host. :D . One of my clown took to 1 of my feather duster.
:lol: yep that the one :)

He doesn't really hang around there in the day anymore (probably because it's always being use) He still sleeps on his side on there at night though :D
Lovely lookin clown you have there akillez :)

Tank's looking good maidan fan, get your nitrates down to 0 and you're good to go :thumbs:

Edit; It's 140litres?! Looks really small in the pics for that much :lol: Looks quite tall though i guess. What are the dimensions?

thanks sfo5 :D

the tank is a aqua one 620t as far as i know its 130 litres when empty so allowing for displcement ireckon i got about 100- 110 litres of water it is quite tall but i'm pleased with how it looks up to yet :D

Looks excellent maidenfan. I applaud your patience on holding back and not putting anything in your tank. That is the KEY to a good startup, oftimes totally blown off by newcomers to nanoreefing. They finish the cycle and plunk in fish, corals and then have a crash at some point. Job well done.

I think it's a good time if you want to add a pair of percs. It is a HUGE myth that percs require an anemone or that it is cruel to house one without it. As evidence, check out akillez's pic above. Here is mine hosting in my anchor coral:

nano98.jpg

Keep up the good work. SH

thanks all for your help and support guys,

since starting this tank i have only had one goal to set up the best marine enviroment i can for not only my own enjoyment but more importantly that the welfare of all that lives within the tank from critters to the fish i'm going to introduce. to anyone else just starting out trying not to rush is very difficult but long term i hope to have an healthy happy tank that must be the goal so take your time.

so its looking like a pair of clowns to start i would still like a dwarf angel lemon peel but may have to rethink
and mite finish off with a royal gramma still not sure on that.

what is a LPS coral?

will keep you posted on how things go and if i get the perc's this week will post some pic's

Most reactions

Back